hj60 5spd slippage (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
just went on 40min return trip,on the way back,the last 10 min 4th gear was slipping like mad,got the smell and all that that comes with a slipping clutch etc...
waited till it was cold and went for a drive and tried to slip it but couldnt at all.all seemed back to normal.
do they slip more when they are hot?
if i am low on gearbox oil *could that cause it?
any other ideas?

2H 5 speed-hj60.

thanks ahead.
jas.

Low oil level in the tranny won't cause clutch slippage.

But a disc contaminated with oil can. Worn parts obviously can too.

If the disc was contaminated with something & you "burned it" enough with slippage while driving, it's conceivable that the slippery crap could be burned off and the clutch would then return to a friction plate instead of a slip plate.

Normally heat doesn't make a difference to a good clutch.

Also a burnished flywheel can make the clutch not grip as well.

Last edited:
thanks for your reply,
makes sense in what you say,
so maybe the question is how did oil get on the disc.

jas.

valve cover is leaking a bit yeh,not major though,..won`t know its a rear main seal till gearbox off..:(...

just adjusted the clutch pedal height and it was way out,like you only needed to touch the pedal with a feather and it would engage?????<<<<

so i put that back to the correct play,and did the push rod at right play,that is good now......

then i found this,a leak on the inside of the M/C...pic doesnt do it justice,but its more water/oil on my finger....

so yeh,more information for you all,i appreciate the help.

20150810_114205.jpg

20150810_114234.jpg

That leak would not cause slippage but hard and notchy shifts, at least thats what mine did. I replaced it with a non vacuum assisted type. And yeah.. Can't really tell for the rear main unless you see drips on the bottom of the bellhousing. Just make sure the clutch fully disengages when adjusting the pedal

got no oil on bell housing so im clueless atm what it could be,obviously a hot spot of some kind...considering its only 15-20k old.not even that i dont think.only thing i got to go on is the pedal was 20mm out of play...the manual sais it could be *Quote*---Debris in master cylinder preventing the piston from returning to its normal position...if theres no oil/liquid going on the disc then it mite be that...thats what im thinking anyways..

drove it most of the day today and it was fine.
weird.
jas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom