HJ-47 towing capabilities (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So if I was an HJ-47 with a standard 2H engine (no turbo or other mods) would I tow (and stop) an Airstream weighing about 3500 pounds? It seems from the specs I can gather that it might be a stretch at least. What do you think?

thats about 1.6 tonne, there should be no problem, i wouldn't hesitate to tow that much however you can guarantee it will not be a fast trip and with that weight you could probably assume the airstream has its own brakes, so stopping should not be an issue.

(I towed a fj45 on a car trailer with my bj40 once, funny sight but its doable)

When my troopie still had the almighty 3B i towed weights of 5500 to 6000 pounds on several occasions. I wouldn't recomend it but it's doable. With a 2H there should not be a problem.
Altough if it's not quick enough turbo it.

HTH

Mark

for sure a little bit slow .. but fine .. I tow so many times a suzuky samuray from a good friend with a lots of stuff indide of my truck and no problem at all ---

I wouldn't... The HJ-47 w/o a Turbo is a real dog. You can climb up the side of a mountain, but it's not a tow vehicle... If you want to tow I would recommend a Turbo, perhaps an overdrive, and perhaps regearing your third member. I've climbed the Grapevine in CA a few times in a THJ-47, w/o a tralier and I was getting passed by 18 wheelers.

HTH

Seth

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom