Hitch-mounted hammock stand? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Since I love hammocks and apparently FB and Instagram both know this, all I see lately are these ads for a receiver hitch-mounted hammock stand.
A9B9AE8B-7A74-4365-B58F-B3E928102775.jpeg

Can anybody help me find a legit outlet for these?
I’m a little hesitant to buy it from beautiful-area.Netflix.weScamYou. 😉

Just Google hitch mounted hammock stand and you will find your answer.

I have one of the original ones, from the designer that later got ripped off by the Chinese/Alibaba crowd. Look up McLean Metalworks, they are the real deal. I love mine, it's heavy but SO easy to use. Will grab some pics this weekend to share.

Since I love hammocks and apparently FB and Instagram both know this, all I see lately are these ads for a receiver hitch-mounted hammock stand. View attachment 2661941
I keep getting teaser ads for crappy backpacking pads. And I got one for something like this as well.

:lol:

this seems to me like a rather nichey application given its use of a valuable hitch, potential ground clearance issue, and that it seems rather large and heavy. And I can think of many situations where I can hang a hammock off something else entirely. So seems a bit gimmicky to me. But to each his own. Nice truck ^ though.

Yeah but when folded it's not that big. Keep it in the cargo area when not using it. If you're not in a mosquito-laden area, this would be a nice alternative to a tent set-up. You could even work up a bug net if you're feeling frisky.

Totally agree on the niche product, I look at it as in indulgence and I wasn't necessarily recommending it, just responding to @ScottyRt66 on his question. That said, you'd be surprised at how hard it is to find suitable trees for a hammock in certain parts of the country (like south Texas, or the southwest deserts, or most beaches), and if I'm by myself, it's a great way to get the hammock set up. Weather permitting, I love sleeping in a hammock, that's the Third World in me coming back.

Oh, and by the way, I usually carry it on the front bumper on a receiver I added for this, it doesn't affect my ability to tow.

Holy $500 batman!

There's nothing a simple length of climbing rope can't solve when challenged with suitable hammock placement.

yes, fewer or no trees in the desert obviously, but if you have a couple of trucks (which is a good idea there probably), you can also hang the hammock from roof racks etc between the trucks. Anyways, sure, if you have the money and the hitch available, why not get a fun toy, YOLO.

My approach was to have brackets and supports fabricated and added to the front ARB or bolted to rear. I have a pair of steel pipes for supporting a hammock alongside the FJ60. I've not used this with a bug net but it should work. Works with a rainfly. I had to revisit the bar design and add in a solid steel rod because the bars bent some even with my skinny self. I put this together in preparation for a trip from AL to AZ where I knew trees would be in short supply. Having an anchor on either end of the 60 adds to the options for slinging a hammock when trees are present but a good pair is absent.

IMG_2907.JPG
IMG_2912.JPG
IMG_2913.JPG
IMG_2918.JPG

Since I love hammocks and apparently FB and Instagram both know this, all I see lately are these ads for a receiver hitch-mounted hammock stand. View attachment 2661941
I was getting these ads as well and they are a scam!! They show all these scenic shots with the bumper mounted foldout stand for $39.99. No place in the ad or if you click to buy does it actually say what you are getting. In the comments several folks posted about it being a scam as well. I reported it as false advertising to IG but it keeps coming back.

The McLean Metalworks stands look awesome, but $500 is steep especially when that $$ should go to mechanical repairs and not creature comforts. Also usually I can find at least one tree to use along with my rack or bumper.

Check out Hammockforums or Shug reviews on YouTube. I’ve seen a US made product on there, but I believe it could be the McLean version already mentioned here. They’ve also got a version that mounts off the tire and you hang out to the side of the vehicle (where a swing out rear spare would be I think). I remember them being fairly expensive, but would probably save a day or two of layout, welding, taking apart and doing over until it’s right….

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom