hitch install delayed by bits of bent up metal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
so, i finally got around to installing the hitch i bought from Biff.
this was on my friends '96 80, with unknown history as it was bought from a shady used car dealer. (look, he had to have an 80 so there was no tellin him nuffin!)

it quickly became obvious there was something wrong.
i had one side bolted up ok, but the other side wouldn't get close enough to the frame to get the bolt threads started.
8:30 am and i've already got a towel to keep sweat from dripping in my eyes.
Biff seemed like an honorable, upstanding guy so i doubted he sold me a crooked/bent hitch.

i had a look at the port installed hitch on mine, and realized what the problem was.

i looked over at my friend and asked "you ever been in an accident with this truck?"
edited to add: after the look of insult left his face, he said.. no.

Turns out, IT WAS THE 80 THAT WAS CROOKED AND BENT. HA!
it would seem that it was rear-ended or had been backed into some unmovable object. the rear bumper looked fine, until we knew what to look for. anyway, i was able to pound the bent metal flat enough that the hitch lined up Perfectly.
have a look at the attached picture.
if you want to see a pic of the flattened version, i'll post it but... just imagine the curved bit...flat. ( he said something to the effect of, " i'm going to go inside and do something else so i don't have to see you pounding on it with that sledge hammer"

btw, i had to hammer both sides flat.

the pic:

Last edited:
picture no worky. (edit - now worky, worky).

DougM

I take it we are looking aft parallel with the left side frame rail? Is that the angled support for the rear cross member? Is the rear cross member (bumper) straight? Are the frame rails still parallel?

Mike,

I took that hitch off my 80, had been on the rig for ten years with out a problem.

edit

I see you got the hitch on, good.

yeah, the hitch was perfect. thanks.

edited to add: now for the wire harness...
eh, for me, thats the easiest part. just picking up on the pulse of a few recent threads.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom