Hir Bulb Group Buy (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Threads
Still not convinced they're for you? Read the 80s FAQ on Lighting and
this article for the most comprehensive dissions and tests available.

For those ready to order, here's the deal I got from Bill; a really great guy BTW. He's the one selling them for $29 on ebay. Please don't screw this up as he has tentatively agreed to make this an ongoing deal for us if all goes smoothly with the group buy and costs don't go up.

The HIR 9012 can replace a stock 9006/ HB4 bulb.
The HIR 9011 can replace a stock 9005/ HB3 bulb.

Now thru November 30th. IH8MUD members can purchase 9011 and 9012 HIR bulbs by sending a PayPal payment to IH8MUD@FINEMOTORING.COM Check and money orders will also work, but I don't currently accept credit cards directly (I might soon). I pack and ship as usual, just with better pricing. NO EBAY SALES, of course.
Group pricing would be $27 each for two bulbs, $25 each for four bulbs. Shipping will be a flat $5.25 to the US, which covers USPS insured mailing on up to 8 bulbs per package. Insurance has been mandatory ever since one buyer had his bulbs "stolen" from his mailbox. Combine orders with your neighbor or club member and save on shipping. Remember, these bulbs also work in a variety of vehicles, from all manufacturers.

These are brand new, never used Toshiba bulbs direct from the factory in Japan. I pack them in foam and cardboard and have never had a damage claim. I never touch the glass, and the box they come in is handy for storing your old bulbs, should you decide to revert prior to selling a car or something.
The aforementioned email address will work, both as a PayPal address and as the general email to ask questions, clarify orders, change addresses, etc. All you have to do to order is log into PayPal and send the correct amount of money. There's room in the note section to specify bulb type, quantity, etc. I usually acknowledge and confirm all the orders myself, and ship quickly to avoid bogging down. It wouldn't hurt to put "IH8MUD" in the subject line of any email communication. For now, checks and money orders will have to be made out to "Bill Fox".

Send Check and Money Orders to:
Bill Fox
3004 Douglas Rd
Ferndale, WA 98248-8909

I ship USPS Priority the same day for PayPal, ASAP for other forms of payment.

Here's ordering info once more(again, not available thru ebay- direct sales only):
2 Bulbs for $27 each, plus $5.25 shipping and insurance.
4 Bulbs for $25 each, plus $5.25 shipping and insurance.

No further savings is available beyond the 4 bulb discount unless a bulk order of 50 bulbs is desired. Let me know if your club is interested in this option.

Please take the usual precautions for halogen bulbs, keeping the glass clean and oil free.
I am not currently able to trim the bulbs, pending regulatory clarification. They are marked with white paint to simplify the minor trimming required. It's a very easy and simple job, just a few minutes with a Dremel or file; you can even use toenail trimmers, taking small "bites". Use your old bulbs for guidance, and remove the painted area of the base tabs.

Happy Motoring,
Bill

Last edited:
I have dealt with him on EBay and he was very fast on the shipping.

This is a heck of a deal! I spent about $125 a month ago for a full set of four through this gentleman on ebay, and also experienced fast shipping. I am very happy with these bulbs in my FZJ80 (with the Slee wiring harness) and plan to purchase some more as spares through this offer.

The bulbs as stated above may or may not be made in Japan, 2 of mine I received come from China, however they are still manufactured by Toshiba, and the wattage is 65W for the 9011 and 55W for the 9012

Last edited:
Does Bill Fox has a phone number? I would like to order a couple of 9006 bulbs through the phone.

Send him an email at the address above and ask about it. I've never delt with him on the phone, but just got my order of 64 bulbs for our local club...he's legit.

I put mine in last week and used them a lot this weekend on some dark snowy mountain passes. They work great.

FYI...this ends tomorrow (11-30) get em while they're hot.

Safado said:
Now thru November 30th. IH8MUD members can purchase 9011 and 9012 HIR bulbs by sending a PayPal payment to IH8MUD@FINEMOTORING.COM Check and money orders will also work, but I don't currently accept credit cards directly (I might soon). I pack and ship as usual, just with better pricing. NO EBAY SALES, of course.
Group pricing would be $27 each for two bulbs, $25 each for four bulbs. Shipping will be a flat $5.25 to the US, which covers USPS insured mailing on up to 8 bulbs per package. Insurance has been mandatory ever since one buyer had his bulbs "stolen" from his mailbox. Combine orders with your neighbor or club member and save on shipping. Remember, these bulbs also work in a variety of vehicles, from all manufacturers.

These are brand new, never used Toshiba bulbs direct from the factory in Japan. I pack them in foam and cardboard and have never had a damage claim. I never touch the glass, and the box they come in is handy for storing your old bulbs, should you decide to revert prior to selling a car or something.
The aforementioned email address will work, both as a PayPal address and as the general email to ask questions, clarify orders, change addresses, etc. All you have to do to order is log into PayPal and send the correct amount of money. There's room in the note section to specify bulb type, quantity, etc. I usually acknowledge and confirm all the orders myself, and ship quickly to avoid bogging down. It wouldn't hurt to put "IH8MUD" in the subject line of any email communication. For now, checks and money orders will have to be made out to "Bill Fox".

Send Check and Money Orders to:
Bill Fox
3004 Douglas Rd
Ferndale, WA 98248-8909

I ship USPS Priority the same day for PayPal, ASAP for other forms of payment.

Here's ordering info once more(again, not available thru ebay- direct sales only):
2 Bulbs for $27 each, plus $5.25 shipping and insurance.
4 Bulbs for $25 each, plus $5.25 shipping and insurance.

No further savings is available beyond the 4 bulb discount unless a bulk order of 50 bulbs is desired. Let me know if your club is interested in this option.

Please take the usual precautions for halogen bulbs, keeping the glass clean and oil free.
I am not currently able to trim the bulbs, pending regulatory clarification. They are marked with white paint to simplify the minor trimming required. It's a very easy and simple job, just a few minutes with a Dremel or file; you can even use toenail trimmers, taking small "bites". Use your old bulbs for guidance, and remove the painted area of the base tabs.

Happy Motoring,
Bill

A word of warning, just got my goods, out of the four bulbs I bought, none of them were made in Japan as advertised. I even took the trouble in my original order to state that I wanted bulbs made in Japan as opposed to made in China and that if that was any problem to please call me on my phone which was also listed. After placing the order and after the order was apparently sent I opened a well worded reply on how made in China can be as good as made in Japan. That may be so, but it is also so that I had taken the trouble to specifically request that the goods received were the same as the goods requested.

I'm not necessarily angry or agitated about any of this cause it may not make any matter - the bulbs may have the same performance and the same longevity - but, I would have wanted a call instead of reply that was received after the order was sent, and, if I had received the call I prolly would have simply stopped the order. If the bulbs last a long time and work well then no problem, but a point's a point and as a vacuum tube enthusiast (very similar to bulbs if you think about it) I absolutely KNOW that even though one factory uses the same tooling as another, point of origin and quality control committments can make two "same exact tubes" very very different. Again, just a word of warning. HTH.

Turbo,

Good point. I'm sure that if you emailed Bill back and requested a refund because of what you just stated, he'd be more than happy to refund. He's just that kinda guy. Or just sell them here...there were lots that missed out. The supply seemd to change from Japan to China somewhere during this group buy as you can read in 100TDs comments above. I looked on my bulbs, but didn't see anything apparent, but figure they're from China as I ordered late. I hope everything works out for you, whatever you decide.

Safado said:
Turbo,

Good point. I'm sure that if you emailed Bill back and requested a refund because of what you just stated, he'd be more than happy to refund. He's just that kinda guy. Or just sell them here...there were lots that missed out. The supply seemd to change from Japan to China somewhere during this group buy as you can read in 100TDs comments above. I looked on my bulbs, but didn't see anything apparent, but figure they're from China as I ordered late. I hope everything works out for you, whatever you decide.

Safado, no worry really, I researched and realized that these bulbs are basically still the best HIR's ... the toshiba plant moved their managers, machinery and materials to P.R.C and are essentially manufacturing the same product in a separate place. Again, I am not angry, just frustrated because I basically counted on the "Made in Japan" as the thread stated but also wanted to write that rather specific request out only after reading 100TDs post that some of the bulbs were Chinese and some were Japanese. Like I wrote, I have some super specific predjudices with products "Made in China" based on my vacuum tube thing so I'm trying to get over that. I would have preferred him calling or writing to try to ask me rather than trying to convince me while simultaneously sending the bulbs but what the heck, no worry really as long as they last a long time. Thanks for helping to set up the group buy business though, these are the best bulbs at the best price so I, and everyone else, should be happy! :cheers:

UPDATE FOR ONGOING MUD PRICING

So I talked to Bill about making it an on going deal and he has gracefully obliged. What he's willing to do at this time for anyone from IH8MUD is $27 per bulb plus $5.25 flat shipping for up to 8 bulbs. Not quite as good as the group buy, but better than anything out there at the moment. Send questions and PayPal payment to IH8MUD@FINEMOTORING.COM.
If someone could add this to the FAQ, it might help others that search in the future.

Latest Update on IH8MUD Pricing

I just became aware of the HIR bulb upgrade and contacted Bill Fox through ih8mud@finemotoring.com and just ordered for replacement bulbs at the same prices as in the original deal. :bounce: :bounce2: :bounce:

Here is his email reply to me today:

Hello- LOL, that was last November, but I'll still honor it. I have a lot of inventory due to a change in Toshiba's delivery system, so I'd be happy to part with it. I'll make it a standing offer till further notice. The paypal address of IH8MUD@FINEMOTORING.COM is still valid as well.

A couple of points worth mentioning; you can use HIRs in the fog lights of manyToyotas, likely including Land Cruisers. You can even run high beams there, to excellent effect. It requires a simple trimming modification, takes 5 minutes.
Also, there was a bit of controversy last year about the country of origin of the bulbs. Toshiba has moved their HIR factory to China. It's still a Toshiba plant, not an outsourcing maneuver. All the HIR 9011s are existing inventory from the Japanese plant, all the HIR 9012s are inventory from the Chinese plant. There is no quality difference between the two bulbs.

Here's updated ordering info and a couple of info links. Shipping is $5; I self-insure now, since there's never been a bulb broken in transit.

Bulbs are priced according to quantity ordered:

1 bulb is $29.95 $34.95 total with shipping

2 bulbs are $26.95 each $58.90 total

4 bulbs are $24.95 each $105.80 total

Prices reflect a shipping charge of $5 for up to 8 bulbs per order in the same box, USPS priority. Prices subject to change at any time.

You can use paypal@finemotoring.com as the Paypal email address. Please include a note on the Paypal page indicating which bulbs you want. Or you may send a check to:

FineMotoring.com
3004 Douglas Rd
Ferndale, WA 98248-8909

If you live in Washington State, please add 8.7% sales tax to the price.

I ship the same day for Paypal, ASAP for other forms of payment.

Here are some links of possible interest:

http://shnu.us/HIR%20Trimming%20Stock.htm

http://shnu.us/Bulb%20test%20and%20pix.htm

http://www.bmwcca.org/members/AM/Template.cfm?Section=Let_There_Be_E36_Light

I welcome your feedback as you use the bulbs, and hope you enjoy the performance upgrade as much as I have.

Thanks for asking,

"Max"

I have high and low bulbs on both of my 80's from him and have not had a problem.

The bulbs from him are working great here as well.

I just got my 4 bulbs and Slee headlight upgrade harness. Plan to install them tonight.

I'll report back the difference.

old thread resurrected. Anyone know if he'll do this again?

Yep. I emailed him mentioning MUD. His reply:

Four bulbs will be $107.80 total.

Here's the ordering info; they're on sale right now for $24.95 each:

Shipping is $8 total per order in the US, for up to 8 bulbs in the same package, USPS priority mail (that's only $1 per bulb for shipping!). Prices subject to change at any time.

For Paypal payments, you can use paypal@finemotoring.com as the pay-to email address. Please include a note on the Paypal page indicating which bulbs you want. Or you may send a check or money order to:

FINE MOTORING.COM
PO BOX 264
LUMMI ISLAND WA 98262-0200

If you live in Washington State, please add 8.7% sales tax to the price.

I ship the same day for Paypal, ASAP for other forms of payment.

That said,,,,was the attraction to the John Deere bulbs soley the original price or is their something special about them?

Rich

Has anyone done a seat-of-the-eye comparison by leaving one of the 9006/9005 bulbs in on one side and installing the HIR(s) on the other? I just spent $48 USD on a set of the latest and greatest from Advance Auto and then I find this thread. Thinking about making a switch but not until I hear from my trusted pals at MUD!

Are there any others that are interested in a group buy?
Tony

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom