Hinton sand dunes (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Alright everyone, dig out your flip flops and water wings because it's time to hit the beach. Ive been thinking about this for a while and it's time to finally act on it. I want to take a group of you into the Brule lake sand dunes in early May.

My current plan is to meet in Hinton on Saturday around noon-early afternoon, drive to the dunes, camp on the beach and drive out on Sunday and everyone can be home in time for supper.

This would be a trip that can be done by a stock 4x4 with no body damage to get into the dunes. There are also plenty of other quad trails to get there if we feel so inclined.

Who is interested and which weekend do you want to go? May 4-5th or 11-12 are my suggestions. I will not go in there on the long weekend, too many dirt bikes and quads buzzing around.

Google maps says that's nearly 6 hours from Calgary, so its at least that in a BJ60! Would you be able to tow a trailer out on the dunes? It's probably too early in the year for me to be ready, I have some trailer and truck maintenance to do those weekends in May.

I am very interested in this; edit: looked at my schedule, may only make it depending which day we choose to go.

Last edited:
I could be all over a thing like this. Expect later is better weather wise but either way I'd be in I think.

Sounds fun! The 11-12 I'm more likely to make.

Mano, it took every second of 6 hours by bj60 when we took hwy 93 to Calgary. Beautiful drive but we were holding up traffic on some of those long steep hills.

I am going to be towing my m101 out there for the night, but it would be too much for a car hauler. A few tighter spots and mud holes but we got an early 90 chev on bald duratracs through no problem with some throttle.

So far people seem to be leaning towards the later date so let’s do that. May 11-12 it is. That gives Kevin an entire month to get his stuff in order so he has no excuse for not coming. Or he could bring the 4Runner.

Mano, it took every second of 6 hours by bj60 when we took hwy 93 to Calgary. Beautiful drive but we were holding up traffic on some of those long steep hills.

I am going to be towing my m101 out there for the night, but it would be too much for a car hauler. A few tighter spots and mud holes but we got an early 90 chev on bald duratracs through no problem with some throttle.

So far people seem to be leaning towards the later date so let’s do that. May 11-12 it is. That gives Kevin an entire month to get his stuff in order so he has no excuse for not coming. Or he could bring the 4Runner.

Its the 2 weekends in Hawaii between now and then that are the limiting factor. Both the truck and trailer need work before this years camping season. I was thinking about towing my offroad tent trailer behind the 60, not towing the 60 up on a car trailer.

I just noticed the 12 is Mother's Day... I'll have to confirm with her!

Mano, we can easily get your tent trailer in there. Does it have enough room to take your LS home as well?

I can’t on that date either. Scott and I had discussed possibly going to ruby the weekend before... so I would be out either way

If its a go, we're a go for the 11/12.

Last edited:
So far we have myself in the supratruck towing dash, Emma and Esther in a bj60, Phoenix in an 81, and Tyler in...something.

Should I drop an invite to the local Jeep group to see if we can make friends?

Your bringing both trucks out Jon?

I would like to swing out, but already have plans that Saturday evening. I will still try and make it though ;)

I’m bringing one, and Emma is driving the other in with her friend Esther. I don’t expect the cruiser to go roaring up the dunes but they’ll have fun regardless.

Due to our current snow situation...we will have to make a judgement call by this weekend on how cold and wet we want to be. Hinton received over a foot of snow on Saturday and it has continued to slowly fall every day since. Current weather says it will continue to snow daily for the next week. Making it to the dunes is not the concern, it’s a matter of how badly we want to camp on a wet beach while it’s snowing on us.

We can leave the plans as is, make a day trip instead, or re book for later in the year so it can rain on us instead of snow. Anyone have input?

I’m bringing one, and Emma is driving the other in with her friend Esther. I don’t expect the cruiser to go roaring up the dunes but they’ll have fun regardless.

Due to our current snow situation...we will have to make a judgement call by this weekend on how cold and wet we want to be. Hinton received over a foot of snow on Saturday and it has continued to slowly fall every day since. Current weather says it will continue to snow daily for the next week. Making it to the dunes is not the concern, it’s a matter of how badly we want to camp on a wet beach while it’s snowing on us.

We can leave the plans as is, make a day trip instead, or re book for later in the year so it can rain on us instead of snow. Anyone have input?

Well, I can’t make it to this event, so my input while worthless is that you postpone so I can hopefully join :D

Snow cut a week off our soccer schedule so we have had 2 games rescheduled for the 11th. Painfully dissappointing to have to bow out of the run for that weekend. Postpone is cool with me.

our updated list of attendees is dwindling quickly so lets postpone this trip and re-schedule for another weekend. Hopefully one that Mano can make from Calgary too. How is everyones calendar looking? shoot for a weekend in June?

I’m currently booked for the first 3 weekends of june, but the 22-23 weekend would work for me. But don’t schedule around me!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom