Hey locals... are bears really a big concern? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
We move up to Bozeman June 8th and we are excited to final have this move behind us. Looking forward to exploring this summer and my wife and I have been discussing our family adventures for the summer. I really want to camp and figure we gotta be bear aware like Colorado, but don't need to freak out about grizzlies but be smart.

We like to tent camp.

We like mountains.

Bears like mountains.

I like bears.

I don't like bears coming around while I am camping in the mountains if I can avoid it on my end.

I had a small black bear in the Rocky Mountain National Park huffing outside my tent once with my wife and 3 kiddos sound asleep inside. He moved on and tried to get into our bear box (we keep a clean campsite) and he moved on down the line. We have certainly seen black bears here in Colorado, but I realize the temperament of the grizzlies can be more aggressive.

I would imagine there are area's that are more bear dense than others? We really enjoy back country travel and tent camping... are there places that are definite no-go's or on the other hand, are there places that are big bear free and carefree?

We might splurge for a hard side camper at some point but I would like to see how much of the bear thing is media/social hype and how many precautions are needed to be safe.

We are happy to use bear spray, bullets and prayer in self defense ;)

Am waiting to see some replies,, been charged at a couple of times.. never had to use the spray but had it out. Would rather have a grizzly after me than a blackie, they add to the mystic. Enjoy and stay alert

If I could type better I could give a bear spray lesson and some stories about spray vs. bullets. I have about 6 cans of inert bear spray training cans so if you want I can bring them to the next meeting for demo.

There are plenty of places close to town that are grizz free. Black bears are "every where". I've never encountered a black bear on the trail or camping though. Once you venture farther into the back country and closer to Yellowstone grizzlies are something to take precautions against. A clean camp and letting your presence be known are your best bets. Bear spray and a pistol aren't bad back ups . I rarely cary bear spray but one of the few times I did I pulled it. Didn't have to spray but we came across a juvenile griz on a trail in Taylor's fork .

Thank you fellas, I have no intention on hurting a bear or any other critter for that matter.

But I also have no intention of being bear food.

years ago there was a sow and cub shot in the valley just outside of the little bear drainage. Ranchers wife saw eyes in the bumb lamb pen outside their house in the middle of the night. Grabbed a 222 and a flashlight and shot, still saw eyes glowing so shot again. Went to check it out and a dead griz sow and 1 cub dead. still a live cub so she called f&g. No legal issues since the state had insisted there were no grizzlies outside the park. Got death threats and Letters to the editor were something to read back then. Reason for this lengthy post is that they can be anywhere in this region, keep a clean camp and be alert and you will be fine. looking forward to meeting you, Ron also, 4gotalot should do a demo on the spray at the meeting. If he doesn't forget to bring the cans. Every time i have used the spray either practicing with an expired can or breaking up a dog fight it seems like i'm somewhat downwind. nasty stuff

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom