Here We Go Again, 74&75 FJ40 Project (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have been keeping my eyes peeled for a while now trying to find a good deal on a FJ40. I really missed the blue 75 basket case I had and never had so much enjoyment driving a vehicle around (while it ran for a short time). My Cruiser education has increased quite a bit and now at least I know what I am getting in to. The other day I got lucky and came across a local selling a 74 and a 75 as a package deal. Went down to check them out and thanks to his kindness and generosity I purchased both of them for a price the family could handle.

Yesterday I was able to get the 75 up and running well enough to make the trip back to the house. It's been sitting for at least two years in a field but seemed happy to be driving down the road again. The 74 is in pieces and was stripped to the frame for a restoration. The frame looks great and was coated with POR-15. The tub looks really good except the rear sill has been cut out and there is some rust in the rear quarters as expected but the rest looks great. The engine is in pieces as is everything else. I rummaged though a bunch of boxes to find some good stuff but a lot of parts that were just slammed in boxes with no order, and a lot of parts that look in bad shape. I was hoping there would be enough parts to build a complete 74 but it's more like 3/4 of the mechanical parts I would say are useable. I am not really sure what to do with the 74 as I kind of like 75 more since I can drive it. I may sell the 74 as it is or sell a few parts to recoup some expense and just hang on to it. There was a complete PTO winch assembly and tcase that I believe is worth some good money, along with a set of split rims with the hub cap clips, a York compressor, new fenders, a good condition hard top, etc. If anyone is looking for some parts hit me up and maybe we can work something out.

The 75 is in the garage now and I have a few issues to resolve like a wobbly crank pulley, leaky radiator, some oil leaks, a tree for a front bumper, and a tcase that won't shift out of 2wd. The good is that it runs, has relatively new tires, most of the switches and lights work, and some type of lift. As always one of the PO's made some interesting mods that I can only shake my head at. It does have a pretty rusty tub, but at this point I can embrace it for what it is.
If anyone has any leads on a 2f crank pulley or a front bumper that would be helpful as I couldn't find either of those parts in the pile of 74 parts, go figure.

Updates to follow

edyi.jpg

gmw.JPG

vqh5.jpg

37hm.jpg

xsxe.jpg

g9p.JPG

vfny.jpg

e8e.JPG

2l4g.jpg

31uq.jpg

Made some progress this week as I got the mustard 75 registered and spent some more time in the barn sorting through parts. I was hoping for more good parts from the 74 but most of the stuff is in well used condition aside from the body parts which is complete and pretty good. I did put together what I believe to be an AC unit that came out of the 74, and also found all of the parts for the PTO winch assembly.

mcxg.jpg

s80h.jpg

nazk.jpg

On the mustard 75 I found a new crank pulley and pulled it all apart to find a messed up crank, nothing is easy. Going to try an easy fix and see how it goes. Info here: https://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-series-tech/770906-wobbly-crank-pulley-surprise.html#post8794476

mkyj.jpg

I also have a pile of stuff that is going to get scrapped, if anyone wants anything it's all free. I have a front and rear crossmember that has been cut off and has homemade bumpers welded to them. Some well used/welded up 2F headers, and some shocks and exhaust pieces. Front bumper isn't in this pic:

xg3f.jpg

Last edited:
Most of that 74 is long gone including the winch. Let me know if you are looking for anything else. I have multiple for sale posts in the classified section.

NEED YOUR ADVICE! My husband and I are looking to sell our 74 Land Cruiser. It had sat under cover in the barn for about 7 years and then with just a new battery, some new spark plugs, and carborator cleaner I got it running in 2010. Then we put it back under the barn and haven't used it since. I'm pretty sure it's the fact that it sat so long previously, could be no more than a new fuel tank and fuel lines and it would be running. We just had our 2nd child, no time to work on it and use it.... priorities change! We don't know where to begin on pricing it. It's all original, 107K miles, has the removable hard top with a roof rack, tires are still in good shape, have custom diamond plate rear corner plates that haven't been put on yet. Very little surface rust. Any ideas on what we should be asking for this?? I appreciate your wisdom.

P1120044.JPG

P1120048.JPG

P1120052.JPG

P1120045.JPG

P1120054.JPG

NEED YOUR ADVICE! My husband and I are looking to sell our 74 Land Cruiser. It had sat under cover in the barn for about 7 years and then with just a new battery, some new spark plugs, and carborator cleaner I got it running in 2010. Then we put it back under the barn and haven't used it since. I'm pretty sure it's the fact that it sat so long previously, could be no more than a new fuel tank and fuel lines and it would be running. We just had our 2nd child, no time to work on it and use it.... priorities change! We don't know where to begin on pricing it. It's all original, 107K miles, has the removable hard top with a roof rack, tires are still in good shape, have custom diamond plate rear corner plates that haven't been put on yet. Very little surface rust. Any ideas on what we should be asking for this?? I appreciate your wisdom.

Hi Karen, congrats on your 2nd child!

Are you in the Northern CO area? It looks like Idaho plates.

Thank you! No, we are not in Colorado, we are in North Central Idaho, on US Highway 12.

Thank you! No, we are not in Colorado, we are in North Central Idaho, on US Highway 12.

Ah, very cool! You might get a much better response posting in a new thread with a club closer to your locale - if you haven't already.
In the Western Region, I do not see any Idaho clubs, but I do see 2 Washington clubs - not sure which one is closer to you:
https://forum.ih8mud.com/forums/wa-south-sound-cruisers.118/
https://forum.ih8mud.com/forums/wa-spokane-land-cruisers.162/
and a OR/CA club:
https://forum.ih8mud.com/forums/or-ca-jefferson-state-cruisers.153/

Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom