Helpwith purchase '89 fj62 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am looking at purchasing a 89 89 fj62 the cruiser seems clean and solid I am going to have to travel travel quite distance to purchase this cruiser and I was hoping to get any heads up things to look for on a 62 with over 170000. Body and frame are solid and rust free no after market changes to the motor or the automatic transmission. I'll be driving back around 1800 miles right off if there are concerns as to maintance before the venture I'd be grateful on the heads up.

I just bought an 89 62 in seattle are. I live in cleveland ohio and will be flying out to drive it back home. I have owned a 62 before and drove it cross country many times. Really the only problems i had that stopped me on the road were a dead alternator, and a bad thermostat.

You might want to ask if / when the thermostat and or waterpump has been replaced. Also the alternator.

i will probably take it to a shop and have them do oil change, radiator flush and refill, atf flush and fill, empty and refill both diffs. Check the hoses and belts and replace if needed. all pretty basic stuff.

hope that helps.

This might help.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=124873

I did the same thing and drove it through a blizzard back in Dec. and did not have one problem. The only thing I did along the way was change the shocks. They were completly shot. One came apart in 2 peices.

I took a bunch of stuff and used virtually none of it. Stop at walmart once you get there. Get the essentials and then take back what you do not use after you get home.

Let us know how it goes and post some pics and trip report. Would love to see a cruiser trip through Alaska. Good luck!

The only additional item to ad to your list is to replace the ATF. The A440 tranny is a "known" problem area on 62's and early 80's that both have the 3FE engines. There's a suggested method to replace the ATF that includes draining the torque converter as well as the tranny body - use search to find it specifically. Rodney in Australia will be referenced as the A440 guru. It involves removing the front dive shaft to access the tranny cooler line and letting the tranny pump it's self full of fresh ATF. It's a better alternative than a so called "tranny flush" which can dislodge gunk from the tranny and lodge it in places it shouldn't be - like some of the channels that make up the hydraulic logic in the tranny valve body. FWIW a tranny rebuild can run upwards of $2k so an ounce of prevention is definately worth a pound of cure.

Hope your trip is uneventful - good luck

THANKS FOR HEADS UP ON THE POTENTIAL PROBLEMS -- I was told by another cruiser owner that over heating will cause direct problems to the transmission? Seemed to make sense as to where the transmission cooler is. To the best information that I have gotten from the owner this is one 62 that has not had a coolant problem.

For sure photos to come start to finish on this trip.

Most tranny coolers on the 62 are mounted in front of the rad. Tranny cooler is a "must" on the A440 to keep it cool and assure a long life.

Driving the Cruiser from Canada to Alaska? Curious because if you are traveling the AlCan, you will need more than one spare tire, oil, coolant, ATF,ect. The ALCAN is rough on vehicles, especially this time of year. Have a fun trip and take pics whatever you do!

TK

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom