Help with re-wiring a M8274 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I purchased a second hand 8274. I am replacing the solenoids with a Warn 81400 "albright" style contactor. I also am replacing the socket and remote. The socket I bought is a Warn 39886. The remote I bought is a Harbor Freight 56504. I downloaded the wiring diagram and my socket is off a little bit. The wiring are different colors. I have black, white, brown, red, and green. Also, the notches are different than whats pictured. It shows 2 notches, and mine only has 1, in a different orientation. So, I'm not sure how to orient this socket to wire it properly. I attached pictures of everything, if you guys could let me know how to wire it, or a way to test what wire does what once hooked up I'd appreciate it.

wiring 1.jpg

wiring 2.jpg

wiring 3.jpg

wiring 4.1.jpg

wiring 5.jpg

Sorry, I do not have the exact answer for you but maybe take a look at my post 88 in the above thread. It may give you some ideas to try.

Sorry, I do not have the exact answer for you but maybe take a look at my post 88 in the above thread. It may give you some ideas to try.

Thanks! I'll try wiring it like that, hope I don't get any smoke :)

Also, can you share a pic of your socket on your winch, showing where the notch is?

Another question. The center terminal on the contactor, with the black wire. Does that go to the ground screw on the motor?

Another question. The center terminal on the contactor, with the black wire. Does that go to the ground screw on the motor?

Yes, if your motor has one. If not, then one of the motor mounting bolts will do.

Also, can you share a pic of your socket on your winch, showing where the notch is?
No picture but my notch is at 6 o’clock.

After some reverse engineering using your diagram, description, and colors, I was able to make it work! Well, with a standard wired Warn remote, on a bench, with just the solenoid. Clicks both ways in and out so I assume it will work on the winch.

Unfortunately the wireless remote did not work properly. It would only operate the contactor one way, not the other. It's possible that I could hack the controller to make it work, but I'd rather just return it and get a wired remote that I know works.

Thanks @John McVicker

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom