Help with inline air filter for snorkel (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

workingdog

GOLD Star
Threads
I need to some help understanding required air flow for the inline air filter for the ARB snorkel I want to install. Now, under the category of 'it seemed like a good idea at the time', this 5.3 has a Magnusen supercharger. It has been a HUGE pain in the ass and I wish I'd just gone with a normally aspirated 6.0. But ... it's done, it's carb legal in Calif. So, I'm trying to work with it.

I finally found a guy that could tune it and he suggested a snorkel to lower intake air temps. I have an ARB snorkel and have been looking at inline air filters to go between the snorkel and the intake. K&N makes a massive one
K&N 54-6853 Universal Off-Road Air Intake, Performance Products
that must flow enough air, but I can't figure out how to fit it in my engine bay.

Spectre sells a couple of options the largest of which is this

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0035GS6RU/ref=psdc_15712291_t1_B000TGNIWM

Which is a lot easier to get in the engine bay, but I can't CFM flow numbers for this.

Looking for help specifying parts. Not really interested in getting bashed for how I got here.

Hi,

I used this with snorkel on 5.3 conversion. Seemed to work well no issues.
Spectre 9831 aluminum airbox/filter.

Hope this helps
Brian

Awesome - thanks.

Also heard that the air box from the ford windstar can work as well.

Hi,

I used this with snorkel on 5.3 conversion. Seemed to work well no issues.
Spectre 9831 aluminum airbox/filter.

Hope this helps
Brian
Hi Papagyo,

I am in a similar position to "*workingdog but with a Land Cruiser 100. It came with a K&N airfilter and I am installing a snorkel. I have read mixed reviews about the filtration capacity of the Spectre 9831. How has been your experience with it?

Is the CFM enough for the 5.2L?

Best,

I need to some help understanding required air flow for the inline air filter for the ARB snorkel I want to install. Now, under the category of 'it seemed like a good idea at the time', this 5.3 has a Magnusen supercharger. It has been a HUGE pain in the ass and I wish I'd just gone with a normally aspirated 6.0. But ... it's done, it's carb legal in Calif. So, I'm trying to work with it.

I finally found a guy that could tune it and he suggested a snorkel to lower intake air temps. I have an ARB snorkel and have been looking at inline air filters to go between the snorkel and the intake. K&N makes a massive one
that must flow enough air, but I can't figure out how to fit it in my engine bay.

Amazon product ASIN B0035GS6RU
Which is a lot easier to get in the engine bay, but I can't CFM flow numbers for this.

Looking for help specifying parts. Not really interested in getting bashed for how I got here.

What did you end up going for. I am also in the same predicament, with a strong inclination for the K&N but I am worried about CFM capacity (300) for my 4.7L Land Cruiser 100 series.

Would love to hear your experience.

Maybe this is too simple an analysis but what is the cross sectional area of the snorkel in the more or less cylindrical sections? If the flow area of the snorkel is smaller than the filter housing inlet/outlet, isn't the capacity of the filter somewhat moot? This makes the assumption that the filter manufacturer put the filter in a housing that is appropriate for the filter flow capacity. The spectre 9831 has a 4" diameter inlet (12.6 sq inch) flow area. If the flow area of your snorkel is smaller, then this filter should be OK.

1657652939278.png

Maybe this is too simple an analysis but what is the cross sectional area of the snorkel in the more or less cylindrical sections? If the flow area of the snorkel is smaller than the filter housing inlet/outlet, isn't the capacity of the filter somewhat moot? This makes the assumption that the filter manufacturer put the filter in a housing that is appropriate for the filter flow capacity. The spectre 9831 has a 4" diameter inlet (12.6 sq inch) flow area. If the flow area of your snorkel is smaller, then this filter should be OK.

View attachment 3057307
Thanks for the reply!

My worry is more on the filtration quality of the Spectre filters. I am currently running a K&N Cold Air Intake filter (came with the LC when I bought it). I had a strong preference for OEM Air cleaner box and filter but at more than 700 USD for the box and tubes, I am looking for alternatives.

Maybe I am worrying to much. Although I want to avoid regreting in 15K miles. I do off road driving once a month in Mexico, with lots of thin powdery dirt in the air.

Let me know if anyone has experience with the queality of Spectre filters.

Best,
MP

Thanks for the reply!

My worry is more on the filtration quality of the Spectre filters. I am currently running a K&N Cold Air Intake filter (came with the LC when I bought it). I had a strong preference for OEM Air cleaner box and filter but at more than 700 USD for the box and tubes, I am looking for alternatives.

Maybe I am worrying to much. Although I want to avoid regreting in 15K miles. I do off road driving once a month in Mexico, with lots of thin powdery dirt in the air.

Let me know if anyone has experience with the queality of Spectre filters.

Best,
MP
Sorry. I didn't read the date on the original post...my bad.

Amazon product ASIN B0035GS6RU

Workingdog, what did you end up going for? I am deciding to pull the trigger on either one of your options.

here's what I ended up with. Seemed to work fine. I think it's the K&N. Ended up getting a custom snorkel pipe built out of SS exhaust pipe.

IMG_4485.jpg

lets see the snokel pipe

I took it to an exhaust shop to have it bent and welded, figuring they'd do nice welds. They did crappy welds. But ... it works.

IMG_4927.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom