Help with ID on Two Wires (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Wire #1 - White w/ Purple candy cane striping. It connects to the main harness bundle coming from the cab, but is broken clean off and was just hanging in the engine bay. Almost looks like a splice someone added at some point. First two photos are where the other wires in the bundle go and the third is the wire itself.

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg

Wire #2 - Looks Green. Comes from the center of the firewall and connects to a plug in the top of engine. You can see it attaching to a plug just behind/underneath the rubber hose with the clamp on it. The insulation on the wire is gone in one spot an it looks very fragile. Wasn't sure about replacing it or just splicing in a new section.

IMG_3716(2).JPG

#1 I am betting it went to the temperature sensor for the carb cooling fan. It is just under the intake close to the exhaust manifold firewall side of carb....hard to see.
#2 is the engine coolant temperature gauge wire. it should go thru firewall with main harness driver side. @ToyotaMatt sells an awesome replacement wire kit.

The green connector your holding is not related to either question.

#1 is the low brake fluid light sensor.

#2 is the carb idle solenoid

#3 is something aftermarket or some non Toyota repair possibly. I don’t recognize it off the top of my head.

Looking at the 4th picture, that is the coolant temperature sensor going into the cylinder head.

There is an other temp sensor that controls the carb cooling fan that connects to the intake, or maybe the exhaust. I deleted mine and didn’t remember where it attaches.

Whenever you find a connected wire with chaffed insulation, either wrap it with 3M Super 33 electric tape or cut it and splice in a new piece - protecting the splice with marine grade adhesive lined heat shrink tubing

I was not going by the pictures but buy your question. 2 questions 4 different wires. The last picture with the top of head showing a wire is 100% the temp sender wire.
The white purple was probably spliced on for an old melted off wire for carb fan sensor.

I was not going by the pictures but buy your question. 2 questions 4 different wires. The last picture with the top of head showing a wire is 100% the temp sender wire.
The white purple was probably spliced on for an old melted off wire for carb fan sensor.
Two of the photos were just to show where the broken wire was connected to other wires.

The carb fan makes sense since I am not sure the carb fan has ever turned on. If it is the sensor wire that would make sense that it wouldn’t turn on.

Thanks all for the info I will dig into more and see about fixing it.

Wire #1 - White w/ Purple candy cane striping. It connects to the main harness bundle coming from the cab, but is broken clean off and was just hanging in the engine bay. Almost looks like a splice someone added at some point. First two photos are where the other wires in the bundle go and the third is the wire itself.

View attachment 3189545View attachment 3189546View attachment 3189547

Wire #2 - Looks Green. Comes from the center of the firewall and connects to a plug in the top of engine. You can see it attaching to a plug just behind/underneath the rubber hose with the clamp on it. The insulation on the wire is gone in one spot an it looks very fragile. Wasn't sure about replacing it or just splicing in a new section.

View attachment 3189519

wire #2 is Eazy Peazy solved :

See Below LINK and tech photo ....

your WIRE #1 3 photos and tech summery are very unclear to me as to what all you be needing or what is the issue , or multi issues topic , try to simplifie it a bit please ,

one thing i can say concrete fact TEq is TOYOTA never used spiral tracer striped wire and never has from 1956-2022 globally.............

- the green 2 wire plugs connectors on AIR HORN CARB. are your FCS / ICS solonoid connection points

- see 2nd link and tech photos below please also ..........

- 50% solved / 50% remaining un-solved

not bad for day 1 :D 🍻

1670650665894.png

1670650683767.png

1670650764516.png

1670650842132.png

1670650887137.png

1670650932491.png

1670650948706.png

wire #2 is Eazy Peazy solved :

See Below LINK and tech photo ....

your WIRE #1 3 photos and tech summery are very unclear to me as to what all you be needing or what is the issue , or multi issues topic , try to simplifie it a bit please ,

one thing i can say concrete fact TEq is TOYOTA never used spiral tracer striped wire and never has from 1956-2022 globally.............

- the green 2 wire plugs connectors on AIR HORN CARB. are your FCS / ICS solonoid connection points

- see 2nd link and tech photos below please also ..........

- 50% solved / 50% remaining un-solved

not bad for day 1 :D 🍻

View attachment 3189668
View attachment 3189669

View attachment 3189670

View attachment 3189672

View attachment 3189673
View attachment 3189674
View attachment 3189675
I think Wire 1 is a repair job for the carb fan sensor. The carb fan does not work to my knowledge so it’s very possible that wire is for the sensor.

they do get burned up and melt off and catch fire too

yes

trace that silly spiral striped wire back to the fender main harness assy wire OEM

report back the factory color code tracer stipe tech 411

better yet post pics of it if possible ?

they do get burned up and melt off and catch fire too

yes

trace that silly spiral striped wire back to the fender main harness assy wire OEM

report back the factory color code tracer stipe tech 411

better yet post pics of it if possible ?
Okay so the Wire 2 (green wire) looks like a splice off the main harness and runs to the coolant temperature sensor. It is a DIY job on that nice rubber booted connector you posted. So that is solved.

Wire 1 (white w/ purple candy cane striping) is a splice coming out of the bundle of wires running to this fuse able link up by the carb:

IMG_3714(1).JPG

And to this low fluid sensor on the brake fluid reservoir:

IMG_3711(2).JPG

It is spliced with a black wire or darker in color wire from that small bundle:

4.jpg

Someone suggested a sensor wire for the carb cooling fan, but I cannot see any place the wire would be broken off or where it should attach.

The cooling fan wire attaches to the exhaust manifold.

@reaton
The manifold has (or had) a rusty thin metal bracket bolted to it that goes under the manifold to hold a little temperature sensor. The temperature sensor is (was) used by the manifold cooling fan to know when to turn off & on
On driver’s side, just rearward of center.

The cooling fan wire attaches to the egr inlet pipe and the sensor is very near the exhaust manifold. If someone has removed the EGR inlet pipe they may have removed the wire inadvertently. Also they DO burn away. They also need an insulation sleeve for protection.

Image of the EGR/PCV inlet pipe with the cooling fan wire mount attached:

1670729595864.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom