help with finding some 255 all terrians! (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm not sure why many here are recommending mud terrains when you want ice and snow performance. Sure for deep snow a mud terrain will do well, but for icy and slick snowy roads, stick to an all-terrain. Your choice in size is ideal IMO, it just sucks BFG doesn't offer the AT KO in that size...

In the case of the KM2, it's more the look of a MT and the brand's previous marketing than anything. Physically, they do retain the look and I've yet to really test them off-road. However, they got plenty of testing in the snow on-road last winter:D:steer:

Compared to the old KM, the KM2 has substantially less void space between the lugs, which made it quieter as well as probably helped traction on slippery surfaces. The tire compound is definitely better, softer and stickier than the old KM.

Can you bust 'em loose if you're not careful? Sure, but for me a tire that has predictable performance for a given condition is more important than specific performance under a set condition. I suspect this holds true for most of us who use our trucks as a DD.

The KM2 is not a dedicated snow/ice tire. I don't believe it's snowflake labeled, for instance. But the changes made in to the KM2 by BFG improve the scope of its effective performance, including a noticeable improvement in winter driving conditions over previous versions.

I like my Discoverer S/Ts in 255/85. They are definitely on the aggressive side of A/T, but still behave well on the street. I got them out in the sand in Pismo Beach and I was really impressed -- definitely felt like I had more of a M/T for the manners on the freeway. I haven't tried putting studs in, but that is definitely an option in the snow (apparently, according to Cooper distributor:rolleyes:, they are a hit with the CHP up around Tahoe). If you are looking for a best of all worlds tire, I really think this is worth taking a look at.

For my next tire purchase though, I am leaning towards a set of stock size tires for day to day use and a set of larger tires for play. "Jack of All Trades, Master of None" will only get you so far:flipoff2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom