Needing some help with P0171 code (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So, i was able to get rid of this code for 6 months, of course now its back, before i had fixed connector to MAF, both o2 sensors, and rear knock sensor and fuel filter, i got it to turn off for 6 months, now its back, kinda weird tho, I reset it on a hunting trip and it went away for like 200 miles, at 9000ft elevation, now im back in town 5000ft elevation, and its go off after driving like 12 miles, it started about a month ago i left work with low fuel in tank and when i got to the fuel pump it went off, now i cant shake it. 2 other issues, is a consistent coolant leak, im ordering those parts currently, radiator has a small crack near bottom hose, and i put a black vinyl wrap on my hood to not be blinded by the light bar, anyways all parts were OEM, no leaks in hoses i replaced them all a few months back, air filter good, but missing 1 clip on housing, could the coolant leak be causing? i know my next steps are the fuel reg n coolant temp sensor. Dang almost feel like i shouldnt of let it get so low on fuel, anyways any help would be great, personal experiences or anything i might have over looked, all help is appreciated, doesnt seem to affect the driving, at all, just hate the MIL, i will post a screen shot of the live data captured when it goes off again.

Not sure but i've got the same thing and want to get it figured out.

Doesn't affect how it drives and I can clear the code and it stays off long enough to pass smog.

So, i was able to get rid of this code for 6 months, of course now its back, before i had fixed connector to MAF, both o2 sensors, and rear knock sensor and fuel filter, i got it to turn off for 6 months, now its back, kinda weird tho, I reset it on a hunting trip and it went away for like 200 miles, at 9000ft elevation, now im back in town 5000ft elevation, and its go off after driving like 12 miles, it started about a month ago i left work with low fuel in tank and when i got to the fuel pump it went off, now i cant shake it. 2 other issues, is a consistent coolant leak, im ordering those parts currently, radiator has a small crack near bottom hose, and i put a black vinyl wrap on my hood to not be blinded by the light bar, anyways all parts were OEM, no leaks in hoses i replaced them all a few months back, air filter good, but missing 1 clip on housing, could the coolant leak be causing? i know my next steps are the fuel reg n coolant temp sensor. Dang almost feel like i shouldnt of let it get so low on fuel, anyways any help would be great, personal experiences or anything i might have over looked, all help is appreciated, doesnt seem to affect the driving, at all, just hate the MIL, i will post a screen shot of the live data captured when it goes off again.
Huh

IMG_2077.png
IMG_2076.png

The 1st is the truck running at idle, the 2nd is the capture that caused the code. Not sure what to really make of this. Maybe someone could help

I already read both of those, I’m getting ready to work on the radiator swap here in a couple days when the PS hoses get here, maybe with everything out I can look to see if something came unbolted, it was low low fuel level when it came on so maybe something is clogged, gonna clean the MAF, maybe fuel pressure regulator , n coolant temp sensor. Don’t really know what else to check, gonna look at the o2 sensor in the morning, but I got rid of it before I’m sure I can do it again. I’m gonna go thru the wiring harness again that’s where I found the bent wire, hope it’s something simple. I’ll keep u guys posted

I found this video to be helpful for diagnostics. Check for vac leaks. What clip are you missing on your air filter housing?

Ya I’m gonna do another smoke test, and clean the MAF today, I was watching a video some guy says he was getting pressure in his tank, when he opened up the fuel cap would here pressure release, mine does that too, he said it was causing lean running bc it created a vacuum in the tank, he replace the charcoal canister, now that was his theory, just wanted to see if anyone else thinks that might be the case, I looked at the hoses on the canister and they are really brittle, so looking for other ideas, I’m starting with the cheap stuff first of course.

I didn't read everything closely but if we're suspecting fuel delivery issue, I'd start with connecting a fuel pressure gauge on the fuel rail then monitor it during various events, like starting, idling, giving it some gas, etc.

I permanently mounted a banjo deal with a fuel rated schrader valve at the fuel filter for ease of future fuel press gauge connection shown in the pics. The items were bought from Glow shift, receipt below. In the past, I've taped the fuel press gauge to the windshield, then drove around, or put the engine through various scenarios while watching the gauge.

Lastly, and this is gonna sting a bit but I too had dealt with this issue off/on for few years. Having a turbo makes one be ultra vigilant when it comes to fuel delivery issues. What fixed it for me was a brand new ECU harness. See, I told you this ain't gonna be a fun solution! I haven't had any engine fuel delivery related codes since the harness swap. Additionally, this made the engine run a whole lot better. I created a thread on the ECU swap, just search using my name and ECU harness.

HTH.

1700084464477.png
1700084475058.png

Ya I was worried it might be the harness, bc what cleared it the first for me was I noticed a kink in the harness from the wall to the MAF, I re-soldered the wire n re-secured the wires n wrapped them in heat shield n the code went away for 6 months. I’m replacing my radiator, fan clutch, n all belts n hoses this weekend, I’m gonna snoop around with everything out n see if maybe a loose ground, or corroded wire, I’m having problems with my remote start where I press it n it tries to crank but then dies, but if I atart it with my key it’s fine so I think might have some electrical short somewhere

Above are the clips I’m missing, I added some fuel treatment to the truck, while I was waiting for my kiddo to get outta school I did notice a pretty good idle stumble, happened a few times, seems like maybe a misfire but no codes came up, but the idle would fluctuate about 100-200 rpms like it was trying to drop the idle n then stumble n had to correct, it was after I reset the code yesterday tho. Hasn’t come back on. I’m gonna fix the coolant leak n then go from there, I know that when cars run hot they aren’t happy, but also bc I have all the parts and beefed up aluminum rad 😋

Above are the clips I’m missing, I added some fuel treatment to the truck, while I was waiting for my kiddo to get outta school I did notice a pretty good idle stumble, happened a few times, seems like maybe a misfire but no codes came up, but the idle would fluctuate about 100-200 rpms like it was trying to drop the idle n then stumble n had to correct, it was after I reset the code yesterday tho. Hasn’t come back on. I’m gonna fix the coolant leak n then go from there, I know that when cars run hot they aren’t happy, but also bc I have all the parts and beefed up aluminum rad 😋

You're in ABQ so I'd hit the U pull n pay for grabbing the clips and other parts off of an 80 that's been there a while.

I think mine popped up after I removed the upper intake to replace vacuum lines and the VSV.
Need to look at that closer maybe didn't get it tightened up all the way or something.

I have a new intake hose so shouldn't have an issue with that.

I removed the intake hose n looked at it looks good, did a smokers test and no leak I can see, cleaned the MAF last night. Gonna cut the tape on the wiring n inspect it, I will advise what I find,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom