help with bad grinding noise (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 75 FJ40, 350 conversion, turbo 400, 4 inch lift ect. When I decelerate in 4 wheel drive I have a very bad grinding-vibration, in the front but I cant find the problem. I have checked the Ujoints and there is no metal in the front diff. Transfer case maybe? please help, thanks.

You drive around in 4wd? Like, on the road?

Front input bearing on the t-case - pinion bearings - u-joints - first three I'd check.

IMO, if your not either A> stuck or B> somewhere you might get stuck, your hubs should not be locked in. VERY hard on the front driveline, and adds a lot of unnecessary wear.

I live in Montana and there is a foot of snow outside my door that is why I am driving with it in 4x4, thanks for the input.. I will check my bearings. Everything feels smooth when I spin things by hand however.

then you fall in the B> category...lol

Does it happen in 2wd with the hubs unlocked?

Does it happen with the hubs locked but the t-case in 2wd?

Does it happen with the hubs unlocked and the t-case in 4wd?

I can only get it to happen with hubs and T-case locked, runs smooth if one or the other isnt locked in, so there has to be some resistance in order for the (noise/vibration) to start up. The driveline and U-joints are perfect-no slop anywhere. Thanks for the input

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom