help to ID brake calipers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well I am looking at a new front axle that has disk brakes to replace the drums on my 70 fj40. I found one but the PO is not sure if the axle was a 75+ fj40 with factory disks or if its an older axle that has been converted with mini truck calipers.

Is there a part number stamped on the calipers I can look for to ID them ? or what is the best method. I checked the part numbers for the pads at napa and the droid said they are the same part number :(

thanks in advance for any info

It is easy to tell if the rotors are non vented, then it was converted with mini parts. If they are vented either the axle was a cruiser disk axle or it was converted with mini parts + vented cruiser rotors + IFS mini or cruiser calipers.

Look at the studs on the bottom of the knuckle housing. If these have cone washers and the studs have the same small pattern as your drum brake axle, the axle is a 76-78 cruiser axle. If they have the larger pattern and no cone washers, it could either be mini conversion or 79 and newer axle.

Look at the lockouts. If they are Warns, chances are good it is a 76-78 cruiser axle. If they are Aisins, it could either be mini or cruiser. This is not as reliable a sign as Warns are available for the mini or newer cruiser axles and some 55 series have Aisins when they get disks in 1976.

The only way to look at a set of calipers and tell whether they are from a solid axle mini or from a cruiser is the slot where the rotor fits into the caliper. Narrow = SA mini. Wide = cruiser or IFS mini.

The brake pads are the same between 76-90 cruisers and the 79-90 minis, so pad part numbers is not a good way of telling the difference.

Dave

I thought that the non vented rotors was not a sure sign it had been converted. I thought that alot of people changed to solid rotors for the cost savings ? It definatly has solid rotors.

Aisins hubs are on it. I will have to look at it again to check out the other things.

The only way to look at a set of calipers and tell whether they are from a solid axle mini or from a cruiser is the slot where the rotor fits into the caliper. Narrow = SA mini. Wide = cruiser or IFS mini.

DO youhappen to know what the WIDE and the NARROW mesurements are :) I only have one set to look at so duno if its wide or narrow.

Thanks for all the help.

No, cruisers don't come with solid rotors AFAIK.

Let me measure some calipers when I get back from work (working weekends sucks). I'm not sure if I still have any SA mini calipers left, but I know I still have some cruiser calipers lying around.

Dave

Correct, all Cruiser used vented rotors. It sounds like what he has is a drum axle converted to mini stuff and it still has the solid rotors. So upgrade to fj60 vented rotor and the correct caliper(which I forget what I used)

[quote author=beanz2 link=board=1;threadid=12625;start=msg116282#msg116282 date=1078587388]
No, cruisers don't come with solid rotors AFAIK.

Let me measure some calipers when I get back from work (working weekends sucks). I'm not sure if I still have any SA mini calipers left, but I know I still have some cruiser calipers lying around.

Dave
[/quote]

i used the vented lc rotors with the 86 mini calipers. all my parts cost me like 80 bucks including pads, rotors, and reman'd calipers.

scubajohn,

The rotor slot on the 40/60 cruiser caliper is 23 mm wide. Sorry, no SA mini calipers to measure.

Dave

looks like they are mini's if I did my math right :) 23mm = .90 inches and the ones I have are .560 or so.

Ah well still got a good deal on the axle as long as the gears and berrings are good.

Thanks for all the help it saved me from buying extra parts for the wrong calipers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom