Help sell my dad on a 98/99 UZJ100 (Especialy those that tow) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Alright my dad isn't into the whole diesel/solid-axle scene (ruling out an HDJ-81) but he needs a vehicle to replace his 1999 Heep Grand Cherokee.

He tows a 17' boat so that is his main concern, so those that tow with your 100s how do you like it? His next main concern after owning his Heep is reliability, I'm sure thats not going to be a problem, but chime in all the same. He is also concerned with braking, how well do they brake?

Is the rear locker standard or an option on 98/99s? If its an option, how rare is it?

How comforatable is it on long trips?

How is the power from the 4.7L?

They are all still made in Japan correct?

Any and all praise for the UZJ100 would be much appreciated, thanks. :D

p.s. for the search nazis I've already searched ;)

1- Your IFS comment certainly will not garner any serious commitments to helping you out.
2- There has been many posts on towing/reliability/power comparisons etc..

For me, I have towed 6k lbs on a tandem trailer through large changes in elevation without issue. As a matter of fact, it towed as good as my std Dodge 1500 4x4 a couple of years ago.

In terms of reliablity, the 100 is rock solid.

I have towed lots with my 100. SUPER comfortable to tow with, but there is a limit. I tow up to 5,500 lbs very comfortably, up long steep grades the 4.7 works pretty hard but I can maintain 50-55 mph no problem

Jump up to 7,500 lbs (the max I have towed) and it's a different story. At 7,500 lb load it's very doggy and gets pushed around allot. Doable for a short flat trip but I would definetley NOT reccomend trying to tow this kind of weight for a long distance or through the mountains.

Bottom line...if the boat weighs under 6,000 lbs I think youre OK....over that, buy a diesel truck

Unless it's a 17' battleship a 100 is gonna tow it fine. dieselbigot's weight guidlines are in line with my personal experiences too, 7500 is do-able but you're gonna know it's back there!

Thanks good to hear. The boat is probably around 3500-4000lbs, so shouldn't be a problem.

As for Jukelemon, its just a joke, relax, I own a Toyota with IFS right now, its no big deal.

The 100 tows fine with that weight, I pulled a 3000lb boat and it was just fine. 4 hours straight is my longest trip so far but it was very comfortable and drove like a dream. The engine is as good as it gets, smooth and it pulls well (unlike the Dodge I had that felt anemic at best)! The locker is not hard to find, I would get it and the rear air also. I don't think he would ever lack for any of his needs with a 100. (especially comared with a domestic suv)

Ocelot said:
As for Jukelemon, its just a joke, relax, I own a Toyota with IFS right now, its no big deal.
Yeah, my bad. I guess I just read your sig line wrong.

What kind of 17 ft boat weights that much? They are usually closer to 2500 lbs.

uzj100

Ocelot - tell your dad my 80 tows a 3500 lb trailer w/o issue. The 100 series has a larger more powerful engine, bigger brakes, and more comfort features than the 80 series. It also has the same Yota reliability. Braking shouldn't be a problem with the 100 alone, but any boat trailer is going to have surge brakes to assist in the braking. At least he's smart enough to recognize the lack of Heep reliability. hehehe

Thanks for the help guys, I'll pass it along :D

I think I've got him mostly convinced. He likes this colour, any idea what its called?

Last edited:
uzj100 said:
What kind of 17 ft boat weights that much? They are usually closer to 2500 lbs.

uzj100

I was just taking a stab in the dark, its actually only 2180 now that I looked up :doh:

Brentbba said:
At least he's smart enough to recognize the lack of Heep reliability. hehehe

Yeah its a total POS. Its been through 4 pairs of brakes (on all corners) all on recall because the Jeep brakes suck and are defective on 99/00 Grand Cherokees. After 3 pairs of jeep brakes he finally forked over a whole bunch of cash on aftermarket brakes which are now begining to make wierd noises. He has had no less than 12 serious issues with it in 5 years. I think hes realising its time to join the winning team. My 1996 4Runner has 260,000kms on it and it hasn't had a single issue.

Green :flipoff2:

I take it there is only one kind of green ever offered then :D

Ocelot said:
Thanks for the help guys, I'll pass it along :D

I think I've got him mostly convinced. He likes this colour, any idea what its called?

Color:
Imperial Jade Mica (I have the same color)

They do have a color called RiverRock Green, but it doesn't really look green. More of a gray.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom