help selecting new winter tires (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello again

I’m in the market for new winter tires as my current all seasons are bald. Where I live it’s really icy and well I need tires.

My current vehicle is a 2004 lx470, OE size is 275/60R18

I visited my local Costco tire centre and they couldn’t match the OE size of 275/60R18 which I currently have installed.

Costco rep could only put on Michelin x-ice 2 winter tires sized at 265/65R18

Diameter difference is less then 2%, meaning he can legally install them. He showed me many other brands and tires which were exact same size as my 275/60R18 but he said he can not legally sell and install due to load and speed ratings not matching on the tire and the lx. Didn’t even know that was a thing.

Anyways my question pretty much is do you all think the difference in size is ok? Will I have less traction or stop/go power with the new smaller tire compared to what I currently have on? Also anyone have Michelin x-ice 2? Any reviews. He showed me some Bridgestones and nokians which were more money but didn’t match.

I wanna be sure because it’s $1200 and don’t want to make a mistake.

Also take a look at pic I’m attaching.

71B7B3A8-384B-4C56-98BB-905D6BA9D143.jpeg

Are you set on using Costco? I’ve found they aren’t really the cheapest, and their selection is pretty limited, not bad, just limited.

No the smaller tire will not affect stopping or anything else. All it will do is throw your speedometer off a little, it will read fast by 2%.

This will tell you what your speedo will read. Just enter the numbers for tire sizes.

Speedometer Calibration

Just bought Michelin Tour HP 275/60/18 over the TG sale on Amazon for $103 each shipped ...total $510 Installed

Are you set on using Costco? I’ve found they aren’t really the cheapest, and their selection is pretty limited, not bad, just limited.

I was set on Costco mainly cuz of their customer service and return policy and more importantly they seem to be the cheapest when it comes to taking off these winters in the summer for summer tires. $15 a tire. Where as other local places are $30 a tired.

I’m looking around now because Costco told me these tires are now sold out and they don’t know when they’ll be getting more.

Do you and your tire guy a favor and buy another set of wheels.
I was set on Costco mainly cuz of their customer service and return policy and more importantly they seem to be the cheapest when it comes to taking off these winters in the summer for summer tires. $15 a tire. Where as other local places are $30 a tired.

Nokian hakka’s are by far the best winter tire. Also they last much longer than the other ones. In Alaska and currently have vehicles with Hakka 4,5,7,and 9. On my 7th winter on the Hakka 5 on our MB e class and 5th on the Hakka 7 on my LX570. I’ve ran Blizzak, xIce, general, iPike and none are even close to the nokian in terms of grip. Up here nokian is by far the #1 winter tire.

Found Nokia’s hakkas at kal tire. Total is $200 more then Costco but they are literally the only shop which can sell to me and install in a week. Might just do it because I don’t want to be driving on bald tires anymore. Costco might not get tires for another month. Who knows.

The nokians will last at least 50% longer than the XIce and give much better traction on ice.

Why no General Altimax Arctic? I've had these on my past 3 cars (Audi A3 and two Tiguans) and love them, especially given the price. Not the quietest tire but extremely competent in wet, snow, and ice conditions, with good treadwear.

Why no General Altimax Arctic? I've had these on my past 3 cars (Audi A3 and two Tiguans) and love them, especially given the price. Not the quietest tire but extremely competent in wet, snow, and ice conditions, with good treadwear.

I would be open to that but where u live can’t find any other tires. Sold out everywhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom