Help Needed to Make Quick Decision on Purchase (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Long story short, I flooded my Chevy 2500 high country w/ duramax on Thursday and likely totalled. I have a HZJ73, have also owned an 80, 2 40s.

I have to make a quick decision to buy an F250 or 200-series and don’t really have a lot of time to do all the research(and searches) I’d like to on a 200. My question is somewhat open ended but of all the years, what’s your favorite and why? I know The typical stuff about buying a used land cruiser and condition/rust/etc. I’m just trying to narrow down my search.

I knew There was a transmission change in 2016 to the 8 speed plus a face lift. On one thread, a lot of people were saying the 6 speed was more efficient. I owned a tundra for 7 years and am used to that transmission. I saw Something about a 60k mile injector maintenance interval.

Thanks in advance.

Depends on whether you will tow heavy, or not. I have had a couple of 40s, an 80, 100 and now a 2014 200 series. No regrets at all with this purchase, best LC I have owned for quality build, handles great, and smooth power. If you don't need all of the torque of that 2500 duramax, the 200 should be good.

If you can afford a 16+, I would get one because the starter motor and radiator (both weak points) are upgraded. If not, a 13-15 will be less expensive and have most of the same features and style. You didn't post your budget which is crucial, but aside from having higher miles and lower prices, the 2008+ models aren't all that different inside and out with some feature/content differences.

Last edited:
Buy a 200

Get a powerstroke and a 100 series.

I already have a Jeep for rock crawling and an HZJ73 land cruiser. Don’t really like 100 series. I’d go to a Solid axle 80 series if I got Something that old.

My needs are: towing a 5200# boat and 5,000# rig/trailer

Last edited:
If you can afford a 16+, I would get one because the starter motor and radiator (both weak points) are upgraded. If not, a 13-15 will be less expensive and have most of the same features and style. You didn't post your budget which is crucial, but aside from having higher miles and lower prices, the 2008+ models aren't all that different inside and out with some feature/content differences.

Budget is $55ish. So I’d be looking at a used 2017 f250.

Had I not Had my 85 year old grandparents in my truck, someone would believe I did It on purpose.
I understand, I’m just giving you a hard time. I’m in the Houston-area so I’m well aware there tend to be a lot of... let’s say preventable, flooding of vehicles during the hard rains. :rofl:

Definitely...the cars that are just drove off into ditches, yeah, those guys wanted out of their note.

It might take some time to find the right 200 close to Houston but the F250's are plentiful in TX.

I already have a Jeep for rock crawling and an HZJ73 land cruiser. Don’t really like 100 series. I’d go to a Solid axle 80 series if I got Something that old.

My needs are: towing a 5200# boat and 5,000# rig/trailer

The cruiser can easily tow 5k pounds, but if you already have a Jeep and a HZJ73, my vote still goes to the powerstroke. My preferences will always give me as much flexibility as possible. What happens when you upgrade to a 10k lbs boat or camper or whatever?

I own both an 18 F250 (my daily driver) and just recently picked up a 19 land cruiser (wife’s daily driver). I absolutely love the F250 for towing, especially navigating steep Colorado hills and exhaust brake going down them without having to touch the brakes. But, the 200 is night and day more capable off road and significantly more comfortable on long road trips. The f250 without weight rides rough as hell. Given what you are towing today and where you live, I’d just do the 200.

But living in Texas, I know it is in the dna to go big or go home. And the f250 just towers over everything stock on the road. Best of luck.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom