LX570 Purchase Decision (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

de4

SILVER Star
Threads
Long time lurker, first time poster.

Having gone through a ton of threads in here I think I have most of my questions answered. I still do have a few though that I haven't been able to find definitive answers on. I'm hoping someone can help me out here.

I'm looking at 3 LX570s

LX 1 - 2013, 144k miles. Needs a new lower tailgate or parts for said tailgate. Drives fine. Brakes a little soft. Jumps a bit on acceleration from 0. Shudders a bit when turning to the left. 2 owner car, clean car fax, decent service records (limited Lexus service). NY car, rusty underneath with scaling. Interior carpet a bit rough.

LX 2 - 2010, 156k miles. Exterior could use TLC. Clean interior (black). Drives better than LX1. Brakes great. No other mechanical issues that I could sense on my test drive. 2 owner car. Car fax reports accident 4 years ago in right rear (no frame damage that I could tell). Lexus service records up until 122k miles (only thing that stood out was left rear shock leak inspected but no telling of replacement, I looked and didn't see any leak back there). NO rust. Probably needs tires. Only thing that stood out on the test drive is the oil pressure gauge was above the halfway mark while out driving. I did also notice some oil residue when looking through the passenger side wheel well towards the front of the engine. I'm not sure if that and the pressure gauge are related.

LX 3 - 2011, 188k miles. Exterior slightly better than LX1 and 2. Interior (tan) clean. Drives about the same as LX2. Lexus records up until 159k miles with last 2 entries were a code P0126 which is insufficient coolant temp. Then coolant level low and refilled by Lexus tech. No oil pressure concerns. Didn't notice any oil residue on engine block. NO rust. Probably needs tires. Car fax 3 owners. Minor damage in 2014 to rear. Nothing noticeable to my inspection.

All are within the KBB lower end range for their respective years and mileage (20-23K).

Given this information, are any of these keepers? I'm ruling out LX 1. I have owned rusty cars and do not want to go down that route again. I'm between LX2 and LX3. LX2 because of the miles, but the oil pressure gauge and residue have me concerned.

What do you all think?

Like you I'd rule out #1, sounds like a nighmare, and if it's a 2013 at that mileage under $23k the seller knows it. #3 coolant issue makes me wary, either an ignored coolant leak for a long time or more serious issue.

#2 seems like the best middle ground. Leak is likely the valve cover gasket which is a relatively cheap fix. Oil pressure gauges on these trucks are suggestions versus accurate, so I wouldn't stress too much about the exact mark of the gauge unless it's on either extreme.

Thanks for the reply. Forgot to mention that LX3 has the airbag light on.

Long time lurker, first time poster.

Having gone through a ton of threads in here I think I have most of my questions answered. I still do have a few though that I haven't been able to find definitive answers on. I'm hoping someone can help me out here.

I'm looking at 3 LX570s

LX 1 - 2013, 144k miles. Needs a new lower tailgate or parts for said tailgate. Drives fine. Brakes a little soft. Jumps a bit on acceleration from 0. Shudders a bit when turning to the left. 2 owner car, clean car fax, decent service records (limited Lexus service). NY car, rusty underneath with scaling. Interior carpet a bit rough.

LX 2 - 2010, 156k miles. Exterior could use TLC. Clean interior (black). Drives better than LX1. Brakes great. No other mechanical issues that I could sense on my test drive. 2 owner car. Car fax reports accident 4 years ago in right rear (no frame damage that I could tell). Lexus service records up until 122k miles (only thing that stood out was left rear shock leak inspected but no telling of replacement, I looked and didn't see any leak back there). NO rust. Probably needs tires. Only thing that stood out on the test drive is the oil pressure gauge was above the halfway mark while out driving. I did also notice some oil residue when looking through the passenger side wheel well towards the front of the engine. I'm not sure if that and the pressure gauge are related.

LX 3 - 2011, 188k miles. Exterior slightly better than LX1 and 2. Interior (tan) clean. Drives about the same as LX2. Lexus records up until 159k miles with last 2 entries were a code P0126 which is insufficient coolant temp. Then coolant level low and refilled by Lexus tech. No oil pressure concerns. Didn't notice any oil residue on engine block. NO rust. Probably needs tires. Car fax 3 owners. Minor damage in 2014 to rear. Nothing noticeable to my inspection.

All are within the KBB lower end range for their respective years and mileage (20-23K).

Given this information, are any of these keepers? I'm ruling out LX 1. I have owned rusty cars and do not want to go down that route again. I'm between LX2 and LX3. LX2 because of the miles, but the oil pressure gauge and residue have me concerned.

What do you all think?
I too looked and looked for an LX570 to replace my 04 LX470 (200k miles and things were breaking), was not in love with the exterior body style of the 570 but wanted a newer LX (Land Cruiser). Then one day a Red 2013 LX570 popped up on CarMax it had 47,000 miles on it. I paid the non refundable $2,000 shipping and bought the car when it hit Las Vegas 2 weeks later. Street tires were 5 years old, that's real old in Las Vegas so replaced all 5 with Nitto 285/55R20 Trail Grabbers, 20" wheels made it difficult to put anything else on them, noisy on the highway but great in the dirt. I just installed a 12,000lb winch behind the grill, barely visible. The point is, wait it out don't jump into anything with too many miles. With the new models coming out from Lexus and Landcruiser, you may see a plethora of LX570s out there with lower mileage, just be patient. PS, the LX570 gets about 11 mpg with the wider Nitto's :(

Nito Trail Grappler.jpg

Winch2.jpg

Winch3.jpg

LX1 is a nope. Rust, weird stuff going on, Hard Pass.

LX2 is curious with the oil pressure, I've never seen one that ran that high. I suppose it is possible they put in some heavier weight oil to slow the leak you saw?

LX3 - Were there two separate entries for the coolant temp code on the same day, or it went in twice for coolant temp issues on different days? If it was two separate entries on separate days, I'd be concerned, especially if they were fairly recent. If the issue was 2 years ago and doesn't seem present currently maybe it's nothing. A good working cooling system in one of these trucks rarely if ever needs coolant added, which is why I am curious.

Personally, I think the prices are in line, but not that low. Pricing on the earlier 200 series and LXs seems to be coming down, with models in the age and mileage range popping up in the mid to low 20s more regularly. If you can snag a deal on 2 or 3 they may be worth a risk on your part, but at the current prices I think I would keep looking.

Thanks for the replies.

For LX2 - not sure if it was an actual leak. Didn't look recently wet.

For LX3 - the coolant code was at 159k and then coolant added about 600 miles later. Weird.

Will keep looking I suppose.

What would you pay for LX2 and LX3?

The airbag module is in a very hard to access place. Maybe dig a bit deeper on why that light is on. Water intrusion into the cab due to a replaced windshield or broken cowl is pretty common.

High oil pressure is essentially non existent on the forum, that seems really suspect to me.

#1 rust is a straight no. The AHc line above the rear crossmember sits in a low spot and has been reported a few times to rust thru and it’s a moderately costly repair.

I’d lean toward no on all three.

To me, #2 is the only possibility. Is there an option to take it to a mechanic to have the oil situation evaluated? I’m concerned too about the accident damage. You can’t tell on your own about frame damage, so can that be looked at also?

I'd pass on all three. I'm watching prices on these hard lately, and they are falling. Every week I get 2 or 3 emails that ones I've looked at on Cars.com have had a price reduction. I just got one such email five minutes ago. I agree with an earlier poster that the arrival of the new GX and LC will put downward price pressure on these LXs. I say just keep looking for a clean one and be ready to jump fast when it hits. That's what I'm doing.

What are you looking for? I could part with mine for the right $.

Front bumper
Arb rack
35s
155k miles
Stock everything else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom