Help Needed: FJ60 Rear Axle Arb Locker RD153 Install Axle Shaft Retention (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys. Need help with the installation of the axle shafts into the ARB locker. The instructions do not mention the process of retaining the axle shafts with the C clips.
Can someone please outline the process?

Reading this thread there is mention of the thrust retainer but looking into the locker there is the spider block in the way.

CCAD4C43-0746-4F09-A702-0871C1F323B7.jpeg

image.jpg

659634B9-1C97-4C09-B4AB-817ADC590E79.jpeg

@KeepCruzin What did you do here? Once I get my own problem solved with getting the short side of the axle out of the housing, I will be getting a regeared and adjusted differential back from the shop that I need to install back inside. I would love to learn from your recent experience.
If you’re reusing the factory diff setup then installing the c clips is easy. It’s getting the spider gears in place that is a PITA.

The thrust washers want to keep falling out if you tilt the thing too far one way or the other. You’ve got to kinda keep the locking pin pinched against the top thrust washer as you carefully rotate the spider gears into place. Then the pin slips into place through the washers.

Once you see what needs to be done it will not be any easier to make it happen. The first time I reinstalled my axles into the diff it was a breeze and took five minutes. The second time took me almost a week. 😃

I can obviously get the C clips into the axle shafts. I’m just not sure how you keep them from falling out. The yoke is in the way.

View attachment 3334582
Is that piece you are holding supposed to be in there? Basically there should be just enough lateral movement
of the axles shafts so push one side, slightly pull the other so you can slip the c clip in. Then reverse the push
and pull. That will secure the first c clip. Then insert the second c clip and give the axle a on that side a tug.
never heard of them falling out once they are in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom