help - my 60 won't stay running (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all

Newbie here - figured this was the place to try to get an answer to my problems. My most recent addition to the herd is an 84 fj60. :D

The problem started with the cruiser dieing under any type of load ( it would idle, but once the accelerator was pushed it would die) It then progressed to just losing RPMs under a load, but if you let out on the accelerator, the motor would not die, it would catch itself and just barely idle. Once the accelerator was pushed, it would act like it was gonna die again and so on.

I have replaced the fuel filter and fuel pump (PO had installed a crappy e-pump) and choke cable and tuned it up, but to no avail. Last night we did the fuel pump/filter and it still ran like a Ford with a Pontiac rear end. I should note that it needs a manifold gasket pretty bad (any installation tips there would be helpful also) but I doubt that is compounding the problem too much

We pulled it back in the shop and took off the air filter, etc. Lo and behold it ran ok with the air cleaner off and vacuum lines unhooked. I then ran it around the field and it ran pseudo-OK - at least it would accept a fuel load without dieing.
At that point I was so disheartened and beaten down that I had to go stare at the rest of the herd to reassure myself that these vehicles are in fact the coolest rides ever.

After drooling on my "almost finished to dealer showroom quality " 73 fj 40 I felt better. Don't worry, my cruisers aren't all barn beauties I have a '75 trail rig to beat up and a 72 fj 55 begging for attention. However, nothing will get done until the 60 gets straightened out.

What I thought was a fuel starvation problem may not be. What are your suggestions as to next steps??? It may be a vacuum line issue because it seemed to run a little bit with a naked carb(please not that, I would be lost), or the carb may need rebuilt.

Sorry for being so wordy, I just love my rides and want to help the 60 feel better.

thanks again
Krushr

Oh yeah, if anyone has a good 2f for sale let me know - my 77 daily driver is a driver no more until the engine is replaced

Sounds like you may not be getting enough air into the engine. I'm no F mech, but if pulling the airfilter and vacuum tubes would help increase air flow into the engine. Just a starting point...

D

Did you check the air filter to see if it's clogged?

yep - air filter was checked and was clog free - spark pattern was fine, plug firing order OK

I did notice in looking through the clear plate on the front of the factory carb that it didn't always appear to have gas in it - should you be able to see fuel in there at all times?? Would this mean that the float was broken?

Thanks for all your suggestions, I'm sure we'll figure it out eventually

Krushr

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom