Help me with my first mobile setup (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've been reading through a lot of threads here and seems to be some very knowledgeable individuals when it comes to the mobile stuff. I have had a license for a few years now but have never used anything bigger than a 5w portable. On a recent trip down to the Ozark national forest I noticed some definite limitations to this setup and would prefer to have a more powerful mobile rig.

I would love to do something like dual band/receive and APRS so the wife would be able to track my on the trails in case of trouble, but, given my limited understanding of using repeaters, GPS, etc, I just don't think it feasible. I don't want to have buyers remorse getting into a cheaper unit, but at the same time I don't want to be overwhelmed with features.

The unit will be installed into a Tuffy 003 console in my FZJ80. I think the opening is standard DIN size at about 2"x 7.3". I have thought that maybe the Yaesu 2900r would be a good first radio, though there wouldn't be much airflow for it in that compartment. It seems to have good power levels combined with sturdy construction, and the faceplate seemed pretty simple and user friendly.

For the antenna I would like to put one just behind the rear hatch, I have a mount that fits inside there. However, I already have an NMO mounted dead center of the roof that used to go to my CB. Currently it routes down and terminates right under the center console where I need it. I believe it has a PL-59 connector on it, whatever CB normally uses. I'm not sure what HAM mobiles call for as far a coax but it would probably be super simple to just plug this into the 2m unit and run an antenna off of the roof. The only thing I don't like about that option is 1) it looks goofy 2) it will hit every tree I drive under on the trails.

I have no idea what antenna to use. I have heard nothing but good things about diamond though. Anyhow, for those of you who are more experienced in this kind of thing, I would love to here your feedback on what I have listed. Please feel free to offer up whatever advice or equipment recommendations you might have. Thanks in advance for all the help.

The Yaesu 2900 is a great 2M radio, but it is air-cooled only and needs some air circulation nearby. Not sure that I would put one in a Tuffy console. It (and most every other 2M or dual-band ham radio) does take a PL-259 coax connector.

You will get better performance from an antenna dead center on the roof. If you have lots of trees where you wheel, then use a Sti-Co Flexi-whip antenna. 1/4-wave, but good performance (for me) on a roof-top mount. Flexi-Whip

You will have to cut it to length for 2 Meters; it would be best to have a friend with an antenna analyzer that can measure SWR on 2M.

The most reliable way for your wife (or anybody) to track you in case of trouble is to use the Delorme Inreach Explorer. Besides tracking, it provides satellite texting, gps navigation and mapping, and emergency beacon.

The most reliable way for your wife (or anybody) to track you in case of trouble is to use the Delorme Inreach Explorer. Besides tracking, it provides satellite texting, gps navigation and mapping, and emergency beacon.

I will look into that. I just thought it might be a handy feature given I wanted to do a mobile 2m setup anyways.

Also, what do you guys think of this radio https://www.amazon.com/Yaesu-Origin...004HGIAQ4/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8 ?

I was originally thinking the 2900r, good price, seems rugged. I'm not sure it would enjoy life inside my Tuffy console with no airflow. I was thinking the above one could be remote mounted under the console and the faceplate could go in there where I want it. Any thoughts ? Do you have to run a separate antenna to get out on 70cm ?

The FTM-7900 is a great radio I run a older 7800, but you might want to look at the FTM-100DR as it is a newer radio with some of the newer technology in it and it's only about 45 dollars more.

For facelplate placement I like above the rear view mirror since I can glance at it and use the mic controls to change things on the fly while driving.

As far as antennas go no you do not need a separate antenna, a standard 2m/440 antenna will work just fine. I'm a fan of the Comet CA-2x4SR antenna.

Ok, so I am debating still. I really like the thought of the 2900r or possibly the Kenwood 281A. They have a good entry level price, seem simple, and get good reviews. I am wondering if they will survive inside my tuffy center console ? I am guessing they have a thermal overload switch, if I had problems with it I could always move it outside the box. The compartment for it is deep, with an opening a little bigger than the standard single DIN. What do you guys think ?

Edit: wouldn't mind some good antenna recommendations either.

Edit 2: maybe this antenna https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NWYVM94/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=AWHEELI3SYPUS
with this radio https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007470C0A/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=AWHEELI3SYPUS

Last edited:
The FT-7900 is a great radio, but you would need some additional equipment in order to run APRS. By the time you spent extra money on that, the newer FT-100DR would start to look more attractive, especially considering it's APRS-ready out of the box (including GPS). As for mounting, airflow around the unit will be important. My FT-7900 is mounted in a rear compartment that allows plenty of air to circulate around it, with the face plate remote-mounted in the console. You could do the same with the FT-100DR or any remote mountable rig.

Ok, I purchased a Kenwood T-281a yesterday. I should have it tomorrow thanks to Amazon Prime. Going to run down to the local Comms store and pick up either a 1/4 wave or 5/8 wave Larsen antenna for it. The 5/8 has a spring on the base to allow some whip but I don't know if I want all of that sticking off the top of my truck. Maybe I will pick up one of each.

That 281 is a great little radio.

The Larson 150 series antennas have an available spring but don't come with it. Very handy to have depending on your mount. You will need a SWR meter to get the cut length on the whip exactly right. Larsen publishes a cut chart that will get you pretty close.

Personally, I would go with a 5/8 wave if on the roof or even on a hatch mount. I'd use a 1/2 wave if elsewhere. Use 1/4 wave only if you don't have much room to mount it, but you're giving ups some performance (though maybe not enough to notice).

You will be impressed how much better this unit is, vs a hand held, especially a cheapy hand held like a Baofeng.

When you really want to do APRS, the Kenwood 710 is the ticket and you'll already be familiar with their menu system.

One other thing-Kenwood has free programming software for that radio, which is very handy to have.

@Cruiserdrew I appreciate the suggestions. The reason I had looked at the 1/4 wave is I think I could run it and still fit in the parking garage at work. I also thought there would be less chance of snapping it off on a tree or risking bending my roof at the NMO. When you say hatch mount do you mean one of the little deals that bolts in about halfway up the back of the truck and has your antenna off to one side ? I had thought about doing it that way as I already have the bracket, I would just have to draw the headliner down and re route my cable over to the hatch. It would allow me to run the longer antenna and not worry so much about clearance, but I thought having it midway down the hatch might hurt the performance.

Ok, I went down to TFMComm today and talked with one of there techs. I ended up with the 1/4 wave Laird 144. This is going on my roof top NMO. We discussed future options if I wanted to swap over to 1/2 wave so that I can mount behind the rear lift gate. I imagine if I upgrade to dual band later on then I will do this. I just don't like the idea of a lot of antenna sticking up over my truck.

I agree with the Inreach. Painless to use (except for the subscription, which is fair anyway).

Demo'd it last winter on a (supposed to be) 5 day leisurely trek on the Mojave road. Set it up to broadcast maps to family on east coast.

Double bonus is the 2 way in/out txting communications (versus the usual one way out). Came is very handy as 1) wife broke ankle 1/2 thru the trail, 2) mother on east coast had a medical emergency.

Both episodes were handled w/o problems.

Plan on buying one.

In addition to the Larson I would suggest a Comet SBB-1 NMO which is a short "rubber duckie style antenna. Use the Larsen for long range and general use and swap out the SBB-1 for heavy brush or other wise tight trails. The SBB-1 is a short range antenna but it works well for rig to rig on the trail.

X2 on the Comet SBB-1, its a great little antenna for the trail.

In addition to the Larson I would suggest a Comet SBB-1 NMO which is a short "rubber duckie style antenna. Use the Larsen for long range and general use and swap out the SBB-1 for heavy brush or other wise tight trails. The SBB-1 is a short range antenna but it works well for rig to rig on the trail.

If I manage to break this Larson off I will give that a shot. I have about $10 invested in this unit.

If I manage to break this Larson off I will give that a shot. I have about $10 invested in this unit.
Heads up on the Larson, use some Loctite on the whip set screws. There have been many reports of lost whips, including myself.

Heads up on the Larson, use some Loctite on the whip set screws. There have been many reports of lost whips, including myself.

That must be on there taller stuff. This one actually flares at the bottom and the lock ring and seal comes over the top of it. I've been trying it out on the parking garage at work with good results.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom