Help me replace my 40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

fantic

SILVER Star
Threads
Hey guys my 40 is rusting to the ground as we speak. I would like to replace it with something similar and a little nicer. I looked for a FAQ but couldn't find one for the 70. From my research I guess I should be looking at a 73 or 74. I know 40 and 80 but nothing about the 70. Can you guys give me some advice about what to look for. Thanks in advance.

I'm no expert but what you want to do is pick an engine and then go from there.

I'm on my phone and can't see your location. There is amazing variety in 70s. They all come from outside the US and they were all built to satisfy local demands and conditions.

Start by researching the available engines and go from there. A good place to see clean examples of multiple types of trucks is Land Cruisers Direct website. Browse and learn.

Picking the engine first is good advice.

Unless you have the "3 T's" (time, tools & talent) I would put my emphasis on condition more so than engine. With a few exceptions, most of the Toyota diesel engine are good.

As far as the engine goes does the 3B have enough power? Better with turbo? The reason I'm asking is my 80 has the 3F. Most of the time it's fine. But there are times I wish it had more power. What about cold starting? We have temperatures in the single digits in the winter.

I had a BJ73 for a short while (3B medium wheelbase) running 33's and an OME lift. I never thought it was particularly lacking in power, but it couldn't pull long hills in 5th. Only once did I have to gear down to 3rd. Overall I really enjoyed driving it and probably wouldn't have changed a thing.

I have a 3B and I think it's fine. I easily cruise on the highway at 60 - 65. I am not interested in more than that, and have no interest in a turbo and all the problems and grief they seem to cause, although turbo defenders will disagree.

Unless you have the "3 T's" (time, tools & talent) I would put my emphasis on condition more so than engine. With a few exceptions, most of the Toyota diesel engine are good.

True enough, but a decent body is a decent body. You shouldn't buy a rust bucket no matter what mill it has, and I wouldn't have a 2LT if the frame was stainless steel. I still think the engine you choose is the big determiner of what kind of experience you have. Although I will admit RHD/LHD is a big issue for some.

True enough, but a decent body is a decent body. You shouldn't buy a rust bucket no matter what mill it has, and I wouldn't have a 2LT if the frame was stainless steel. I still think the engine you choose is the big determiner of what kind of experience you have. Although I will admit RHD/LHD is a big issue for some.

If you would have any real world experience you would know that a lhd LJ73 with a Euro spec 2LT drives a million times better then a BJ73 and moves around faster and way more comfortable also !

3B is the better choice when pulling trailer and make it work on a farm or construction site 90% of the time but for all the other stuff give me a lhd LJ73 any day of the week.

To the op , if you value someones opinion here please do ask them how many different models of the 70 series they have owned or at least put 10k miles on it. I grew up with them and I see a bunch of nonsens posted up about certain models by people that never owned them.

3B in a 70 series with manual transmission can be compared to a FJ80 more or less, the 13BT will get you there a bit faster and the 1HZ is the million mile workhorse with adequate power and parts support for the next 20 years!

Thanks for the replies. Rust is the biggest factor in my next purchase. Mechanical issues I can deal with. I think I could deal with rhd since it will be just used on weekends hunting fishing and hauling the dog around. Of course the novelty probably will wear off and wish I had lhd. As far as motor goes I'm old and slow so as long as it is reliable I'm good.

The reason I'm asking is my 80 has the 3F

The 3F in an 80 series probably has better acceleration than a N/A 3B. People have different expectations of what is adequate.
It all gets down to the budget in the end.

Find yourself a nice hzj70 or hzj73 and never look back.

Ive owned four 3b powered cruisers and found their highway driveability just marginally adequate, there great reliable motors but if you have to deal with merging in and out of traffic, pulling long hills or passing they are lacking. I tried the turbo thing but ran into temp issues that I spent a year trying to resolve, most of this is due to my elevation and high summer temps along with head winds so your results may vary depending on location. The other issue with the 3Bs is their dwindling parts availability.

In my opinion the 1HZ is the way to go. Their power is adequate to keep up in most modern traffic scenarios and parts will be available for the foreseeable future.

Give Joekatana or Steve at Landcruisers direct a shout and they will most likely have some nice options to consider.

They rust like the 40 series so I always look for a truck with original paint. The 70 platform is more truck like with a heavy stiffer chassis compared to the 40 so there not as good off road. There more refined then the 40 series with heaps of models and options so do your homework if you want a keeper.

Well I read everyone's replies. Thought about it. And pretty much ignored all of it. :) I found a BJ73 about 3 hrs away from me and bought it. It's a 85 with about 300,000 km on it. There isn't any rust or leaks underneath. Just some rust on the fender. Paint has faded on the hood. Has brand new springs and shocks from Tough Dog. Never heard of them. Must be from Australia. I have a lot to learn. Needs seat cover and misc things but is completely driveable. I also dig the 1980's graphics.

BJ73.jpg

Congrats on the purchase. Me and couple of guys from mud just installed a Tough dog suspension kit on my cruiser and it is an Australian company. It is a pretty nice kit.

Well I read everyone's replies. Thought about it. And pretty much ignored all of it. :) I found a BJ73 about 3 hrs away from me and bought it. It's a 85 with about 300,000 km on it. There isn't any rust or leaks underneath. Just some rust on the fender. Paint has faded on the hood. Has brand new springs and shocks from Tough Dog. Never heard of them. Must be from Australia. I have a lot to learn. Needs seat cover and misc things but is completely driveable. I also dig the 1980's graphics.

View attachment 1585944
Congrats on your purchase. At your earliest convenience please register your new ride here .... U.S. 70's Registration.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom