Help me diagnose this “whirring” sound. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.jcb3.com
Hello mudders!

I have for your entertainment today my 2001 LX 470 / 2UZFE motor that developed a whirring sound yesterday. I’ve got a video in the link below.

I checked all the belts & fluids and everything was fine. The power steering was at the bottom of the cold scale maybe just a tad under the low while cold so I was hoping that was it, but no dice. But it has that power steering low fluid sound to it.

As I hunt around though looking for the sound I can’t quite figure out where it’s coming from. Power steering pump sounds fine. AC is off and it sounds fine. Water pump is a possibility but it doesn’t sound like it’s coming from there. It actually sounds like it’s coming a little bit above there maybe the fuel pump or maybe the timing belt I’m not sure. Time belt was changed about 110k miles ago.

check the video. Any ideas would be much appreciated!

john

I'd pull the serpentine belt off and restart. If the noise goes away, then you've isolated it to something running off that belt.

The fan pulley is known to go out, especially after a wash or other exposure to liquid.

What the above said about the fan pulley. On a side note, I do hear the alternator whine so it may be worth checking the voltage. If you are going to go in and to a timing belt etc etc it may be worth doing that too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom