Help in Triangle area?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all,

Was doing my timing belt today on my 2003 LX470 and ran into a stripped timing belt pulley bolt hole in the engine block during disassembly (the one with the tensioner below it on the passenger side). I need the hole bored and a heli-coil put in. Truck will need to be towed as it's disassembled.

Unfortunately I need to drive the truck to NY this Friday!

Any suggestions for a shop who could do this work for me or someone who could possibly do a house visit???

My largest concern is ensuring the bolt hole is drilled out straight.

Thanks!

IMG_7434.jpg

Last edited:
I'm not going to volunteer him, but @GLTHFJ60 will likely be able to help you out or point you in the right direction. If this is as simple as putting in a heli-coil, you shouldn't need to take it to a machine shop.

I'm not going to volunteer him, but @GLTHFJ60 will likely be able to help you out or point you in the right direction. If this is as simple as putting in a heli-coil, you shouldn't need to take it to a machine shop.

Thanks. My other option is to order a new engine oil pump but need to look into it more and see what's involved in replacing it...

My thought of a machine shop was to ensure the hole would be drilled out straight. I guess if someone has a guide thought it can be done.

Last edited:
Thanks. My other option is to order a new engine oil pump but need to look into it more and see what's involved in replacing it...

My thought of a machine shop was to ensure the hole would be drilled out straight. I guess if someone has a guide thought it can be done.
I don't know how mission critical that tensioner pulley is. I'm assuming this is one of two that are opposite each other above the crankshaft on the 2UZ. You may likely not need to be as careful (straight on) as you would need to be with putting in something like a head bolt or a main stud. Also, if you aren't removing that much material the drill bit you use likely won't go in crooked.

Pretty easy to open a hole up straight. Not nearly as difficult as drilling a new hole, because the drill bit follows the existing hole.

What size bolt goes in that hole? How deep are the stripped threads?

Put up a pic of the bolt thats supposed to go in there with the size. I have a few helicoils at the house. My cell is 919-371-8541 to text/call if you want help today.

Pretty easy to open a hole up straight. Not nearly as difficult as drilling a new hole, because the drill bit follows the existing hole.

What size bolt goes in that hole? How deep are the stripped threads?

Put up a pic of the bolt thats supposed to go in there with the size. I have a few helicoils at the house. My cell is 919-371-8541 to text/call if you want help today.

Thanks! The threads came out with the bolt so they are all gone in the hole. Bolt pictured below. It's a M10x1.25x15mm thread

I ordered a new oil pump as it was only $55 but if I can get it fixed with a helicoil then I'll just return it.

IMG_7436.JPG

IMG_7435.JPG

Last edited:

I haven't seen those before, but damn that's cool. Looks to be a more robust repair than helicoils, but I think a helicoil would be fine for this application, no? Can loctite the helicoil into the hole to ensure it doesn't move, but that looks like a blind hole anyway. Nowhere for the helicoil to go.

She’s back running! New radiator, hoses, timing belt, pulleys, tensioner, water pump, Heater-t’s, thermostat, etc.

View attachment 1602120
Is that a Datsun Fairlady next to the Cruiser???

Edit: Correction, a Datsun 2000 Roadster. I guess we didn't really get the Fairlady.

Nice work! Go with the new pump or the helicoil?

I went with the helicoil. Easy to do and worked like a charm once I went to 4 different auto parts stores before finding the right size kit haha. Once I realized that it wasn't the block I wasn't as worried. Working that late at night when it happened made it so I wasn't as sharp as I should have been in my diagnosis.

Is that a Datsun Fairlady next to the Cruiser???

Edit: Correction, a Datsun 2000 Roadster. I guess we didn't really get the Fairlady.

Yes it is! It's my younger brother's project car. He bought it for $1800 two years ago and it's getting a full frame off restoration with all new hand-formed metal work to replace rusted areas. Almost finished. Here are some OLD pictures of it before any work was done.

DSC_0256.JPG

IMG_2345.JPG

I went with the helicoil. Easy to do and worked like a charm once I went to 4 different auto parts stores before finding the right size kit haha. Once I realized that it wasn't the block I wasn't as worried. Working that late at night when it happened made it so I wasn't as sharp as I should have been in my diagnosis.

Yes it is! It's my younger brother's project car. He bought it for $1800 two years ago and it's getting a full frame off restoration with all new hand-formed metal work to replace rusted areas. Almost finished. Here are some OLD pictures of it before any work was done.

View attachment 1602760

View attachment 1602761
That is really cool. Love it!

I think this roadster and the Honda S500 are two very under-appreciated cars.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom