Help IDing something ODD... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’m gonna be as concise as possible here but this is sorta weird. So I changed out upper control arms for SBC recently and have experienced something really weird lately. The truck will on random occasions “shift” slightly from left to right. It’s as if something is grabbing and causing steering input that yanks the front end very slightly. It isn’t alarming exactly but I wouldn’t call it subtle either. I have been a passenger in the vehicle when the driver reports feeling it and I couldn’t tell. Only hands on the wheel gives you this feeling. No popping from the front end and I marked the top of the UCA to make sure it’s not moving around. I went ahead and replaced the front sway bar bushings the other day but the issue hasn’t changed. ANY IDEAS AT ALL? Thanks guys. This forum is amazing!!

I’m gonna be as concise as possible here but this is sorta weird. So I changed out upper control arms for SBC recently and have experienced something really weird lately. The truck will on random occasions “shift” slightly from left to right. It’s as if something is grabbing and causing steering input that yanks the front end very slightly. It isn’t alarming exactly but I wouldn’t call it subtle either. I have been a passenger in the vehicle when the driver reports feeling it and I couldn’t tell. Only hands on the wheel gives you this feeling. No popping from the front end and I marked the top of the UCA to make sure it’s not moving around. I went ahead and replaced the front sway bar bushings the other day but the issue hasn’t changed. ANY IDEAS AT ALL? Thanks guys. This forum is amazing!!

If you didn't notice it before the arms were installed it's probably door number 1:

1. First I'd take it back to whoever did your alignment after the arms were installed. Your alignment guy might not have enough toe, or might not have put in enough caster. If lifted, you need more than is called for stock... 2.5-3* is good.

2. Your steering rack bushings might be going bad. This can be verified by leaving the vehicle on the ground, and turning the wheel back and forth while looking at the steering rack from the front. If the rack moves before the wheels do, the bushings are shot.

If you didn't notice it before the arms were installed it's probably door number 1:

1. First I'd take it back to whoever did your alignment after the arms were installed. Your alignment guy might not have enough toe, or might not have put in enough caster. If lifted, you need more than is called for stock... 2.5-3* is good.

2. Your steering rack bushings might be going bad. This can be verified by leaving the vehicle on the ground, and turning the wheel back and forth while looking at the steering rack from the front. If the rack moves before the wheels do, the bushings are shot.

First THANKS!!! I am losing my mind trying to figure this out so the response is very much appreciated.

I verified the rack bushings are ok. No movement there. As far as the geometry on the alignment is there any way to take these measurements accurately myself? The alignment shop is full up until Friday unless I want to leave my truck and I’m not too keen on that.

What was the issue?

Rack frame mounts loose. No biggie. Will get it mended this weekend.

I swapped out sway bar bushings on the front end last week. Apparently tightening up the connection created a little more resistance than the 18 year old mounts were ready for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom