Help Identifying Door Window Part?...? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This is more of a 'useless knowledge' question more than anything. On the exterior of the front doors of our 80S, near the forward most corner of the glass, there's a small plastic tab. I'm curious as to what these things are and do they have a purpose (see picture below). I've saw these before on 80's-90's model vehicles but I have no clue what they are.

This recently came up in a shop conversation and no one knew. They look like possibly some sort of guide in case the window ever fell off track on the way up.....what say you?

Capture.JPG

I don't know what it's called, but supposedly it will guide the window into the track when traveling at highway speeds. At high speed the air passing across the open window will create enough negative air pressure to cause the glass to track outside the guide channel. Or something like that...

Nice.

I then assume later model vehicles have improved the track system so this is no longer needed.

Pursuing your lead I was able to find their technical term to be "Window Blow Out Clips".

The indeed function as you had mentioned. They "say" it's possible for the windows to "suck" out at speeds on some classic muscle cars. Interesting.

Thanks for the insight!

Mine fell off the DS door years ago, no detriment. Another had lost its' prior to me buying. Only the LX450 still had one IIRC.

None of my 80's has had a PS side one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom