Help deciding how to clean up windshield primer slathered all over A pillar (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys I need some advice. I bought a factory windshield and all new trim (side moldings, dams, ect).

I had a guy come out just to remove the old windshield because there would be some things to address. The main one is that the child who must have done the install last time slathered black primer all over the place, including the vertical strip to the side of the molding. Thus, it's visible even with new trim in place. There's excess urethane around too, but I can remove that with some effort. The primer seems like it ain't going anywhere. I've tried a light solvent and will try something harsher, but it may need to be mechanically removed and repainted. Yikes. It will look like trash if I don't do anything about it. What would you do?

A followup question is what to do with the urethane where the windshield mounts. My understanding is that typically new ones are installed over the flat-cut leftover urethane. Ideally I'd want to remove everything and follow the directions perfectly, using the new dams and all. One advantage of the factory glass is that it has the hangers on it that interface with the body helping to align everything. I worry that if I don't completely remove everything then it won't work as well. It will be a huge and messy job though. Suggestions?

Sounds like that could be POR15. You may want to google specifically how to remove that if if so.

I think it's something like this, but yes it does look similar to POR15.

20110.jpg

If I understand correctly it's commonly used before urethane is applied in order to seal the surface and help the urethane adhere. There is no rust at all so it wasn't used to cover up anything besides possibly some nicks in the paint. But it was put everywhere. A total mess.

Here's a pic of the passenger side. Some of that is urethane, but the vertical edges along the a pillar are just the primer (or whatever). The driver side is even worse. Absolutely slathered in it.

j9Cu5AY.jpg

The poly is just knock down with a razor where windshield seats. No need to take it all the way off, unless you suspect rust under it. Then use a poly rust/paint remove wheel. But you'll need to paint afterwards.

To remove the excess poly in rain gutter or along A pillar i use a carbon fiber scarper tool. $10 at harbor freight for a set. I also use Urethane reducer.

The area between glass and A pillar is a drain channel. Installer should use a Popsicle stick to clean out before black poly drys, to keep channel open.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom