HELP! Dash Lights or Filter light doesn't turn off after start LJ70 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

TheMU

SILVER Star
Threads
Hi guys and gals, has anybody have had the issue where the T-Belt Light, Battery indicator light, Green and Yellow Turbo lights, Filter light don't go off after the engine cranks and is running.
I checked if it was the key cylinder by pulling it out using the pin and cranking the switch with a screw driver and the lights stay on.
All lights turn off when I rotate the key to "LOCK" or switch the car off.
I've scoured the manual and there there's no indicator of an ignition relay.
It is rather hard to start in the mornings here in Tacoma so I roll-start it.

See attached pic for further clarification.
Subject in reference is a '89 LJ71 2LT with 173608 Km's.
IMG_20150708_174247.jpg

Hi guys and gals, has anybody have had the issue where the T-Belt Light, Battery indicator light, Green and Yellow Turbo lights, Filter light don't go off after the engine cranks and is running.
I checked if it was the key cylinder by pulling it out using the pin and cranking the switch with a screw driver and the lights stay on.
All lights turn off when I rotate the key to "LOCK" or switch the car off.
I've scoured the manual and there there's no indicator of an ignition relay.
It is rather hard to start in the mornings here in Tacoma so I roll-start it.

See attached pic for further clarification.
Subject in reference is a '89 LJ71 2LT with 173608 Km's.
View attachment 1104705

So I found a similar issue in this thread:

http://www.tlocuk.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7899&sid=d1ef025358c1a49a1fe3c04eab39f898

I think it's the Alternator or IC Relay. Guess I'll have to find an alternator now :S

that pic of the volt gauge doesn't look like your battery is charging

Ahhh I see! This reinforces my findings. Much appreciated err Sir Damn House-in. :)
So I disconnected my Voltage regulator, found on the RH side of the Fender and disconnected it. The lights went out.

Looks like it could be that. So, I bought a replacement Voltage Regulator.

OEM Part# is: 27700-15030
Part that I purchased:
http://store.alternatorparts.com/in551-voltage-regulator-for-denso-alternators.aspx.

Hopefully its the VR and not my Alternator which seems like a major PITA to change out. Plus finding one without dishing out $$$.

So I put in a new voltage regulator,
OEMpart #27700-15030
Aftermarket Part#:IN551 http://store.alternatorparts.com/in551-voltage-regulator-for-denso-alternators.aspx
Didn't fix my issue.
Went ahead and pulled the alternator out. It has the funny vacuum pump in the back to vacummize (is this a word?!) the brake booster.

Can't take it apart as it's seized up. So for the past day I've been on and off searching for one.
OEM Part# - 27020-54210
Other Part# - Replacing 100210-2600 Lucas LRA1070 LRA1096 LRA1110 Hella JA193 JA777 JA1270 Toyota Various Mode

There was one in Australia for ~$350, and then on Rockauto Europe for $450 incl. core.
These prices are way too much.
T
hrough my research, the same Alternator is shared with the VW Taro.
I googled 100210-2600 above and I FOUND ONE on AMAZON for $198!
Here's the link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ue&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_1&smid=A3DQWNDT09WO3V

Funny how I've googled the part number to no avail and this comes up!

I will post back later with pics!

Sometimes if the dash facia is not earthed properly it can cause weird dash symptoms. It has some electrodes on the base of the facia that must have a good contact.

Rosco, When you say, at the base of the facia, are you talking internally or externally of the meter housing casing? Here is the back-side of an LJ70 meter housing/casing. At the bottom/beneath is just white hard plastic on mine.

I had the "blinking light syndrome" but a new voltage regulator fixed that. I looks like the original poster had "steady light syndrome" from what looked like low output from the alternator.

So back to the grounding point on the facia, my voltmeter "pulses" when I turn my blinkers on. I just put a "newer" complete cluster in and I get the same pulsing as the old cluster. I'm guessing it is a ground issue. But where it needs the ground or where the bad ground is, is the question.

Any thoughts?

9667D3D2-41B3-4E39-9AFF-5DDE71B21CB3.jpeg

3C5979F0-85C2-4D59-A502-C612B02B0201.jpeg

Last edited:
Hello,

There is also a grounding cable in the ignition circuit. Sometimes either the PO or a mechanic mess with it, and as result the blinking syndrome comes in.

This cable is in a harness below the steering column. It is black with a yellow stripe and connects to a grounding point in the right fender/guard if I remember correctly.

Juan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom