Help CubeDweller pick a puppy (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Cube Dweller

Threads
We just closed escrow on a house with a large yard, one full acre. So it's time to start thinking about a puppy for the dottirs. The girls are 1.5 and 5 years old and are curious about dogs, and conceptually like the idea, but when one gets close, they get a bit skeered. I travel occasionally for business, so watchdog qualities would be nice, especially if I could train it to bark and growl at people bussed into my 'hood selling magazine subscriptions. No real desire or time to train a bird dog. I run 5 miles a shot 3-4 times a week, so good workouts for the dog won't be an issue. It's friggin' hot here during the summer, so thick coats that shed a bunch won't be much fun to clean up after. On road trips she would probably ride in the cargo area of the cruiser, or on the floor of the second row.

We've thought about boxers- looks intimidating to those that are unfamiliar with the breed and is supposed to be a great family dog. Have also considered a beagle, but no watchdog qualities from what I've read, and the baying might get annoying, though the girls think they are very cute. And have also toyed with the idea of a Brittany, cocker or springer spaniel (yeah yeah yeah, I know a Brittany is not a technically a spaniel :flipoff2:

What says the genius pool of mud chat :D ?

I like labs and retrievers. Beagles seem pretty cool too.

Irish water spaniel,

Or Curly Coated Retreiver.

I have a strong fondness for Chessies as well. Awesome family dogs..

If you want a dork dog, get a Weimaraner
weimaraner.jpg
weimaraner%20puppy%20Cool%20Chloe.jpg

lol.........I once had a chocolate lab/dalmation mix. He looked just like a weimereiner, but could jump over 6' and was brutally protective. I loved that dog, but he was not good with kids. He died when my boy was very little.

Right now we have a Golden Retriever and a Chocolate Lab, great family dogs and they protected my wife from somebody coming to hurt her.

Before that we had an australian shepard/border collie/kelpie mix. She was smart as whip, but needed more room to room. She could clear a 6' fence in one jump.

Check out some of the rescue sites in your area..

And don't rule out the black dog.;)

I've got a German Pincher and he's great with kids and is very protective of the house.

The German Pinscher Club of America Official Homepage

"IS THE GERMAN PINSCHER A GOOD PET?
The German Pinscher is not the breed for those who want a slow, placid dog, or a dog that can be "fed and forgotten", for they insist on being a part of the family activities and develop best when treated in this manner. For this reason, most German Pinschers are house pets. They are outstanding companions, known for their devotion and love of the family. However, they are not recommended for families with small children (9 years or younger). "

Another consideration is having a dog that's not going to run off down the street on a whim. I'd like to be able to leave the dog in front or lounging in the garage while I'm working on a project. From what I've ready about beagles, if they get a scent, they have a mind of their own and may not respond to commands to return.

Another consideration is having a dog that's not going to run off down the street on a whim. I'd like to be able to leave the dog in front or lounging in the garage while I'm working on a project. From what I've ready about beagles, if they get a scent, they have a mind of their own and may not respond to commands to return.

That's pretty much any of the birding/retrieving type dogs. Herding dogs will also want to go move things around, but they're better about coming back.

I support your Boxer thoughts, as well as encouraging you to go the rescue route.

Sounds like you need a Lab. Mine will rattle the windows with his bark when someone comes near the house. They don't know that he would lick them to death and show them where I hide the valuables if they came in. My 2 year old sits on him and bounces, and he prefers to be no more than 10 ft from me most of the time.

a rottweiler would fit that bill.

Another consideration is having a dog that's not going to run off down the street on a whim. I'd like to be able to leave the dog in front or lounging in the garage while I'm working on a project.

That's my German Shepherd. She'll sit on the porch for hours, and the only time she gets up is to go greet people who are walking by. It's a little upsetting to the moms with strollers the first time they experience it.

(<---- Not that one -- that's Minna, my young one. She doesn't go out without being leashed. She's great with people of all ages and sizes but unreliable with other dogs, and she's a cat chaser.)

Gracie is old, though, so she's really mellowed. I'm not sure I'd want a GSD with small children, because they tend to be very large and in charge. That GSD would have to be carefully chosen and very specifically trained. They're intelligent, high-energy dogs with a strong sense of the pack order and, if you get one with a strong prey drive, that dog is a really bad candidate for sharing the house with other small furry things.

A border collie or Aussie would probably be a better shepherd-type dog for youngsters. My mom always had Aussies when my sister and I were growing up and they were always gentle with their people but protective of them too.

Last edited:
lol.........I once had a chocolate lab/dalmation mix. He looked just like a weimereiner, but could jump over 6' and was brutally protective. I loved that dog, but he was not good with kids. He died when my boy was very little.

Right now we have a Golden Retriever and a Chocolate Lab, great family dogs and they protected my wife from somebody coming to hurt her.

Before that we had an australian shepard/border collie/kelpie mix. She was smart as whip, but needed more room to room. She could clear a 6' fence in one jump.

my 1/2 lab 1/2 weimie is as good with our kids as the full blood lab is.

And, since she is part lab, she is only mostly a dork :D

Sounds like you need a Lab. Mine will rattle the windows with his bark when someone comes near the house. They don't know that he would lick them to death and show them where I hide the valuables if they came in. My 2 year old sits on him and bounces, and he prefers to be no more than 10 ft from me most of the time.

Agree 100%, my lab is basically the same way. Will take an lot of grief from the boy but will put herself between him and any other dog or stranger protectively and her bark is very loud.

As far as hanging out out front unleashed and unfenced that takes a good bit of training, with any dog breed. Honestly, just not a great idea if you live in town or right on a well-traveled road. Just remember, NO ONE thinks your dog is as "friendly" or "well behaved" as you think they are. ;)

Another vote for Lab or Lab mix
Never had a pure bred but a couple of mixes and they have been great dogs.
Have had what we believe is a Vizsla/Lab mix for the last year, he is about 2 now, pound dog.
Sticks to you like velcro and is great with even the littlest kids, really patient even when they grab his ears.

Agree 100%, my lab is basically the same way. Will take an lot of grief from the boy but will put herself between him and any other dog or stranger protectively and her bark is very loud.

As far as hanging out out front unleashed and unfenced that takes a good bit of training, with any dog breed. Honestly, just not a great idea if you live in town or right on a well-traveled road. Just remember, NO ONE thinks your dog is as "friendly" or "well behaved" as you think they are. ;)

I should have been more clear- I'd be pleased if the dog would be content to flop on the floor of the garage while I'm putting around doing stuff. The mutt we had growing up was never tied up or kept locked up in the back and it was never a problem. And I want solicitors to see the dog sitting there and think twice. Our house is probably 40 feet from the street and we're not really in town.

That's pretty much any of the birding/retrieving type dogs. Herding dogs will also want to go move things around, but they're better about coming back.

I support your Boxer thoughts, as well as encouraging you to go the rescue route.

The Norcal Boxer rescue won't place a dog if you're kids are younger than 5 :frown:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom