Help! buying a diesel Landcruiser..... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Im looking at two landcruisers, but buying only one.
The first is a 1984 BJ42 Canadian, 3b, 5 speed power steering and Power brakes.
The 2nd is a 1984 South America HJ47 2h, power steering and power brakes.
Body condition and interior on both trucks are comparable.
Any Input to lean one way or the other on these truck would be great.
Thanks for your help.

Do your research on South American imports and restorations and make a determination if these two vehicles are truly comparable (in terms of condition).

The Canadian truck is likely factory 5Sp/PS/disc brakes (is that what you mean by power brakes?) and you’ve found a gem if it isn’t rusted through.

The SA truck is unlikely to have been factory PS or disc brakes originally, so you’ll want to assess the quality of the conversions.

I noticed that this was your first post to the forum, if I had before I might not have been so brief.

South American imports have developed a pretty poor reputation among Cruiser owners here in the States. There are one or two companies down there who are doing first rate restorations and finding a good market here in the US. The prices they command are on par with what you’d expect for the work involved, regardless of country of origin. Six figures and up is not uncommon, and for those who have the means I dare say it’s not a bad deal.

Beyond those one or two super high end restoration companies, however, much of what comes from Columbia and other SA countries is not much more than lipstick on a pig, often at hyper-inflated prices. These trucks in the third world countries are used the way in which they were intended by Toyota. The joke on this site is that every SA truck for sale had “a gentle life, used sparingly by a coffee plantation owner for trips to church on Sunday.” The reality is more like “rode hard and put away wet.”

The truth is that many SA vehicles are available at this point in time because after 40 years of hard service they have finally reached their useful life as work vehicles, having been passed on from owner to owner over the past 40 years. And the timing is such that there is a market in the US for these old vehicles, and some people have shown themselves willing to pay $100K or more for a prime specimen. There’s a lot of opportunity for someone to make money if they can buy locally for $5K and sell overseas for $40K+ to someone who can’t inspect the truck. A lot of opportunity for con artists, too.

In contrast, the Canadian truck was likely purchased to deal with the snow and harsh winter conditions. In addition, by 1984 Canada, like the US, had stricter laws regarding safety and emissions. A North American-spec truck has niceties like a heater (yes, the SA trucks typically do not have heaters), three point seatbelts, disc brakes from the factory, and luxury options such as power steering and a 5-speed transmission.

But the later trucks had slightly thinner sheet metal and were prone to rust. In the salt-filled streets of Canada, some of these trucks turned to Swiss cheese, body and frame alike.

Post up some pictures. We love pictures, even of trucks in rough condition. Post’em up, give us more details about location, price, etc, and we’ll offer all the advice you can handle.

84 Bj42, no brainer. If body in decent shape you will have a rare one on your hands. I own a 3b Troopy and love the diesel, life just slows down when driving it, not kidding here, it literally slows down no matter how hard your driving it!!

Good luck and share some pics!

84 Bj42, no brainer. If body in decent shape you will have a rare one on your hands. I own a 3b Troopy and love the diesel, life just slows down when driving it, not kidding here, it literally slows down no matter how hard your driving it!!

Good luck and share some pics!

I recently purchased a 1985 Canadian BJ 70 that had rust at the bottom of the fenders and some good sized dents and scratches. It has roughly 429,000 kilometers. Tremendous fun to drive the five speed with that turbo diesel torque filled engine. Not a drop of oil. Id go for the Canadian truck..

I know of one in western canada here thats for sale if he didnt sell it already.

Budget?

Do both have heat? Is the 47 a pickup? Does it have disk brakes up front? Is one or the other full of sh!t mods? Are you able to pull wrenches? Etc etc etc. Post up pics.

Go with the 42... the only thing mine is missing is the 5 speed and the turbo... you can't go wrong at that price

One thing that im
Not fond of is the 24 volt system in the BJ42. Vs 12v on the hj47. Also the electronics in the BJ42 seem to be a little tougher to repair if something goes wrong.

Don't buy a South American truck, especially not one for 15k. Very risky purchasing a vehicle from anywhere where labour is most likely cheaper than parts

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom