Hello and Rust Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Been lurking for a while and trying to decide what kind of rig to buy, but came home with an’03 LX470 this weekend. A bit rough cosmetically, but no undercarriage rust and runs fine. Planning to catch up on all maintenance (didn’t come with much the way of records), add storage, sleeping, fridge, air compressor, and then load up my surfboards and take a 12-18 month road trip to Ushuaia, Argentina.

Noticed that the cargo carpet looked funny on the passenger side and there was some rust on one of the seat brackets. Pulled up the carpet and found RUST! Grrrr! Looks like they spilled something caustic in that corner and it seems to have melted some of the dynamat. Any pointers on getting this fixed up? Also, what is the white plastic assembly in the corner? Rear a/c? How hard is it to remove?

Thanks

D5BA6F3E-33D8-4B74-8A6F-59F17E464AA4.jpeg

46E86A7B-0874-49AC-99EA-7BE65638B9B3.jpeg

I'll be following this as I have a similar situation with my rig. I pulled my carpet up and found half a beach worth of sand that caused some rust. I plan to just have a body shop take care of mine, but I'm curious to see what the suggestions are and how you proceed.

IMG_20200609_140622.jpg

Yeah, I’m up in the air on whether it’s worth having a body shop handle it or if I can fully get rid of it myself.

from the first pic, hard to tell, but it looks like surface rust, wire brush/wire wheel and prime and paint, or rust convertor type product
get a new/used plate and put it back together

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom