Hello. A few questions about the Supercharger from Kazuma. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ooh...I hope the rumor is true because I have approval to buy one!

Just wondering about SC from how much rpm it start pump ? 1800 - 2000 rpm . ?

And do at same 6 -7 PSI trought the hole range up to 4350 rpm ?

I suppose 85% it's a normal Eficience for SC coz in the turbos worls it's pretty much.

Quote:
Originally posted by johnfj
Thank you photoman now it makes sense the pulley is over the nose cone I'll give pboys a call and see what they can do they have ones for other trd packages. If the tables abover are correct a 2.6 should yield 9.5 inches though my truck is only making 5 on the stock pulley. This is all being done so to optimize a water/alcohol injection system. I'll listen to any advice on that.
I have already solved the fuel delivery side, though not a very eloquent solution.
Can anybody tell me if on a 94 if changing the base timing at the distributor will really full the computer or will it just full me on the advance curve shift?

Glad to help. As far as the water/alcohol injection goes, several members here I believe have done a water/methanol injection system. CruiserDan was a pioneer in this system with some information in this thread. How did you do your fuel management? A few weeks ago I was screwing around and machined up this fuel filter relocation log. It works perfectly in place of the existing fuel filter so no hacks to fuel lines are needed. I put in a couple of extra ports for a fuel gauge or to possibly supply a seventh injector.
Sorry I can’t comment on the distributor.

Bill
Gas-Filter-Log-001.jpg
Gas-Filter-Log-002.jpg
Gas-Filter-Log-003.jpg

Photoman,
Being from a different age I reallly didnt understand the computer thing. Hindsight being 20/20 the seventh injector or 8 does not really matter with a simple controller would have been the way to go, but I went mechanical. I bought a FMU the at was variable which was smart because as much as I calculated using websites tools there were too many variables to lock in on set ramp. I installed the fmu set it up with 60 psi at atmospheric pressure via experimentation. this defenitley took care of my flat spot as boost ramped up. then I tried to adjust it to what I calculated to be 90 psi at wot and 275 hp. It had two problems the first was I was getting eratic fuel pressure readings at highway speeds as load changed, and secondly I could hit 90 psi for a few seconds at wot and then it would drop to 70 psi and here comes the pinging.
Solution for both in hindsight are easy but they didnt come quickly. The first is the eractic nature of the fuel pressure came by the ecm swtching between low setting ie the resistor circuit and full voltage all controlled by a vsv and I assume an algorithm in the computer. the fix is simple though for me not instantly intuituive and that was to let the computer do its thing since there is no feedback from the resistance circuit to tell it that happening and jumper the resistor out of the equation. The only negative is that now rail pressure at idle is 40 psi versus 33 but I have linear smooth power all the way up.
The 2 nd problem was solved by installing a second fuel pump in series in the engine bay. the trick I learned was the pump cant run all the time or your rail pressure at idle is way out there at 50 to 60 psi. So I purchased an adjustable pressure switch and after trial and error have found if it triggers at 2 psi boost I can run up to WOT with noe of the pinging and power loss etc.

What led me to all of this madness was 2 sets of knock sensors and 2 sets of catlytic convertors and fortunatly not a new engines yes can we say melt the wire looms when the cat melts and clogs the exhaust.

johnfj,
I’m glad you got the fuel worked out to your satisfaction and thanks for the information. There can be many different ways to solve a problem but the most important is one that works and you are happy with. Good luck with your project.

Bill

Photoman,
Being from a different age I reallly didnt understand the computer thing. Hindsight being 20/20 the seventh injector or 8 does not really matter with a simple controller would have been the way to go, but I went mechanical. I bought a FMU the at was variable which was smart because as much as I calculated using websites tools there were too many variables to lock in on set ramp. I installed the fmu set it up with 60 psi at atmospheric pressure via experimentation. this defenitley took care of my flat spot as boost ramped up. then I tried to adjust it to what I calculated to be 90 psi at wot and 275 hp. It had two problems the first was I was getting eratic fuel pressure readings at highway speeds as load changed, and secondly I could hit 90 psi for a few seconds at wot and then it would drop to 70 psi and here comes the pinging.
Solution for both in hindsight are easy but they didnt come quickly. The first is the eractic nature of the fuel pressure came by the ecm swtching between low setting ie the resistor circuit and full voltage all controlled by a vsv and I assume an algorithm in the computer.
John
when I tested this on my 94 with SC, the resistor circuit only came on at idle (it's idle switch activated). Anything beyond the idle setting caused the fuel pump to recieve full voltage. The only VSV fuel related on the 94 is the bypass for cold start enrichment (atmospheric pressure at the fuel pressure reg at cold start - by opening the vacuum line from the IM to the FPR to atmosphere). The fuel pump full voltage signal is triggered by the TPS thru the ecu to the fuel pump relay in the DS fender. The only other 3 VSV's are purge tank, EGR and secondary air, on a 94 truck.

I have been working with this on my truck, changing from VSV interrupt vacuum at the FPR to strait hookup to the manifold. I don't have my WB02 hooked up (it's on loan right now, coming back soon), but my fart can exhaust is louder (lean) without the VSV on startup. Once the ECT gets to normal, all is good again. I'll look in my notes, but I'm positive that the VSV only goes open to atmosphere during cold start cycle.

the fix is simple though for me not instantly intuituive and that was to let the computer do its thing since there is no feedback from the resistance circuit to tell it that happening and jumper the resistor out of the equation.
It's been a year since I did this test John, but I'm pretty sure this is a idle switch only resistor circuit. Any other problem with it means you should be staring at the fuel pump relay or TPS switch/adj.

The only negative is that now rail pressure at idle is 40 psi versus 33 but I have linear smooth power all the way up.

Rail pressure at 12v should be 43psi minus the vacuum applied to the FPR, regardless of what you did with the resistor circuit. My tests showed it was a 1:1 RRFPR. If you disconnected the fuel pump resistor, you have more fuel in the return pipe to the tank, but rail pressure should not be 43psi unless you unhooked the fuel pressure regulator vacuum feed. IMU, the fuel pump resistor is there to have the fuel pump reduce output so there isn't too much flow going to the tank at idle causing a FPR backpressure problem.

The 2 nd problem was solved by installing a second fuel pump in series in the engine bay. the trick I learned was the pump cant run all the time or your rail pressure at idle is way out there at 50 to 60 psi. So I purchased an adjustable pressure switch and after trial and error have found if it triggers at 2 psi boost I can run up to WOT with noe of the pinging and power loss etc.

This confirms my suspicion that too much fuel can cause back-feed rail pressure spikes from the Fuel pressure return. I'd put the resistor circuit back in and run the FSM tests for idle TPS.

What led me to all of this madness was 2 sets of knock sensors and 2 sets of catlytic convertors and fortunatly not a new engines yes can we say melt the wire looms when the cat melts and clogs the exhaust.

I'd WB02 the thing, it sounds like you have way too much fuel to me. Do a thorough test of the FPR VSV, and the TPS sensor. It's been a while for me John since I went thru all this, but something else sounds not right. I run the stock fuel pump and have no pinging issues at all, and btw, I run ignition advance as well.

The first thing I would do, is recheck your vacuum lines. Next, I would add a clamp to both ends of the SC hose feed to the SC wastegate. That line on my SC leaked under boost *and* vacuum, and from what I can tell, it wasn't a clamped item from TRD. After that, do some tests with the FPR VSV vs resistor circuit. I really think on lift throttle, the resistor circuit is also necessary to prevent HC drowning of O2's and Cats on decel, since injectors are shut down on decel.

I did a lot of calculations of the monster injectors that came with the truck, and figured there really shouldn't be any issue with fuel, other than the vacuum to boost transition (IMO) caused by a FPR/software combo that wasnt' designed for boost.

I'll double ck the resistor circuit, but it shouldn't be kicking in or out, unless you have a total lift of throttle (decel). That's done by the fuel pump relay (which may have a problem), and it defaults to resistor ciruit at idle switch activation, and should go to 12volts at .030 from the throttle rest position.

Man that sounds like a lot of fuel. If you take BEGI's formula it's
(Pressure Ratio * standard fuel pressure) + boost psi = max fuel pressure
(1.48 * 43)+7.0 = 72psi of fuel at max boost

HTH and my .02

Scott Justusson
94 FZJ80 with Supercharger

Last edited:
Photoman,
Thanks for your help maybe I'll get lucky on finding that pulley. If any else has any ideas please feel free to share.
Scott thanks for your insight but I skinned this cat long ago and on my truck what I said is what it is and it works.

Photoman;
Thanks for your info on the pulley I ordered a 2.8 they had in stock I'll let you know when it get here if its correct. they claim any smaller is a custom job.
Wanted a 2.6 but maybe baby steps is good in this case any ways.
Appreciated all your help!!

Your quite welcome. If after you see how the 2.8 works for you, I have a 2.6 that I could lend you to try. It would be with the disclaimer that I would not want to be responsible for any damages if it or the motor come apart. Please let us know how the 2.8 works out. IIRC, there was a guy on here I believe a few years ago from Australia that claimed he or a friend ran something like 20PSI of boost on a daily basis with no problems. Anyway it will be nice to hear how it works out for you. Oh, if that 2.8 for some reason does not have the correct spacing let me know and I might be able to fix it for you.

Bill

Photoman;
Great thanks for the offer, I understand about the disclaimer Its like taking off in a airplane there is a risk, but I am pursuing this calculating the risk as I go. Plus we are dealing with a Toyota, a lot more forgiving than the rest of the pack.

Photoman;
Pulley came in offset correct so I will start testing next week. Thanks for the offer on the 2.6. We might go there if we get good results.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom