Hella Headlight Bulbs (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have been searching for awhile, and found lots of good info on the JD bulbs, and some old post on some group buys of other lights, my question is on the Hella bulbs Man-a-free sells, does anyone have experience on either the lower or 100w high beam bulbs?

thanks

No personal experience, but I've read that their Korean-made bulbs were not all that great (premature failure). I also heard that they were going to get a different company/vendor to improve quality.

However, I have not heard anything more about it/them since.

You'll most likely hear that to stick with the HIR, and if anything more is desired, then look for aux. lights (fog or driving, depending on your needs/wants).

Good luck!

Mot

the lower is 80/100 watt and i have them on my truck, i bought them local, they r brighter than the ones (oems) they replaced (55 watt i think), the brand is osram and it had on the small box off-road or some similar they were cheap here prolly like 3-5 bucks each, not more.

but they do make a slight difference in lighting.

Last edited:
the lower is 80/100 watt and i have them on my truck, i bought them local, they r brighter than the ones (oems) they replaced (55 watt i think), the brand is osram and it had on the small box off-road or some similar they were cheap here prolly like 3-5 bucks each, not more.

but they do make a slight difference in lighting.

here's the box its a solid light german not sure if they have it in the states. but widely available here.
osram.jpg

Amen....

DougM

thanks for the replys. but i was wondering if anybody has run them and what they think, the faq is very well written but there is no follow up on what people think that may have those other options

just installed HIR lights (already had Slee harness)

Wow.

Big difference. BIG.

hir.jpg

did you chang your low beams?

If he upgraded to 80/100 of course he changed his low beam since this bulb is a Low/High

If he upgraded to 80/100 of course he changed his low beam since this bulb is a Low/High

Nope the 80/100 is referring to the LC models, its only a 100w bulb for highs, from what i read

I ran the 80/100 with Slee harness. The 80s didn't last very long, maybe they were Korean made? The 80s were changed out with HIRs. The 100s are hanging in there. Wife's 80 has HIR lows and highs (oem harness) and truthfully I can't tell the difference between the two sets of high beams. When my 100s go, I may just rip out the Slee harness and install a set of HIR high beams using oem harness and call it a day.

I installed the Slee harness about 5 years ago and Korean 80/100W Hella lights. After a month of use and one trip to desert with a lot of water, the Slee Harness stopped working. Maybe the connectors maybe, the relays. I fiddled with it until I said ENOUGH.
Then after reading the pros/cons about running high wattage lights on the stock harness on the Spanish HDJ81 forum, I decided to go back to stock wiring keep the Hella lights. And call it a day. It's been working fine all this time.

Regards

Alvaro

I replaced 8 years ago my OEM bulbs with 85W/85W PIAA (made in Japan) for the L/H headlamp and Hella 100W (made in Germany), keeping the stock harness, and they are still working fine.

I will make a separate wire harness to power only the high beam bulbs so the OEM wire harness and OEM change over switch will have to drive only the L/H bulb load. In case of a failure of the new wiring and related relay's like what happened to Alvaro, then I will loose only the high beams.

Since I got a couple of big PIAA 80 Racing 90W/135W on my TJM bumper I have plenty backup light (my kids love when we are cruising on dark roads and I do the changeover from the OEM lows to ALL in high, is like night to day).

Last edited:
I just recently installed the Slee harness (after it sat on my garage shelf for about a year) and it was a no brainer. Then did the JD high beam and HIR low beams from Dan Stern's lighting (sp?). Basically have HIRs all around. Love it. No worries about reliabilty, overheating wires, etc. Same wattage was stock, I couldn't be happier.

x2 on the harness install. It is a good product.
I made my own harness for my 60 ... it cost a little bit less than Slee's, but I suspect that with the 4 light sockets on the 80, the pricing would come out to be pretty close. And it is a heck of a lot easier to just plug in the Slee harness vs. make your own.

The only minor (minor!!) complaint that I have is I would prefer to have a blade-type fuse instead of fusible links.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom