HEI Distributor for 2F (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Howdy all!

Was pondering on the idea of HEI Distributor for my 2f on my rebuild. Saw that Man-A-Fre has one for almost 400 think. Is there any other cheaper options for an HEI on a 2f? Just trying to save some money:)

Also, if you're running one, how's it treating you.

Thanks in advance!

Yo Han

Man-a-free is reselling a Davis Unified Ignition you can buy it direct at www.performancedistributors.com
There is also a Jacobs ignition that I believe is offered through JT outfitters but lately have hear mixed reviews.
Helpful tips on doing your own HEI are in the tech section of this here web site. do a search and you will learn lots about the options.

i'm running the DUI.
i think because my rochester has no vacuum port it is the source of all my migranes.
if you have a vacuum port you will be in good shape... great distributor.

reed the teck section and make your own for why less money

Spend lots o money and get a HEI or DUI. In theory both are better and both cost a lot more. I am very happy with the standard NON USA dist w/points. I like points as you can adj to get what you want. You can always add the ele PU and get the semi ele dist. Not a big jump to get a 79 or newer set up that is more or less waterproof but requires the same year lifter cover. FWIW: spend less money, stay with stock parts and do about the same with less PITA

I have a 77' fj-40 and am useing the ignitoin system out of a 79' camero. It runs a hotter spark and all you have to do is change distributor gears and make sure the tip goes into the oil pump and you have a cheap electrical ignition.

Thanks all for the responses!
On the '79 distributor....are the gears a direct swap?...or was there modifications needed?

I'll defintely checkout the tech section. :doh:

:cheers:
Yo Han

sup,

yeah, i did probably the exact same swap. cept mine was out of a '79 nova. :flipoff2:

the swap was fairly easy,

first off, determine the exact "depth" of the gear on the toy dist. then tap out the roll pin holding on the toyota gear. (this all after you've marked everything off of the diz, so that you don't have to work on the timing for 8 or 9 years when you get done.)

then mark this depth on the gm dist shaft. this is where you can play around and do whatever method you want.

i drilled through the toy gear in another spot (not the one that was used) to assure that it would be mounted at the proper height and in a good mounting surface on the gm shaft. the gm shaft *might* have a joint in it near the terminal end and that's why i had to move the mount location on the shaft up a bit, and the hole in the gear up that same amount so that the gear would still drive the oil pump.

i just realized that you can look most if not all of this up in the tech articles. that's where i got all of my information.

but anyways, do the swap with a gm dist. you can get an internal coil and a hotter spark, plus you get rid of them points. and it cost me maybe $60 bucks total.

if you have any questions, shoot me an email,

jonathan
jmalphr@clemson.edu

97 Nova? if they still made a Nova in 97 is was a Toyota corrola(or tercel or something like that) DId you mean 67 or 79 Nova?

BTW Nova was a hottie.....she never said much and looked good in a loin cloth :D

John H

[quote author=72cruiser link=board=1;threadid=5873;start=msg47124#msg47124 date=1065192416]
sup,

yeah, i did probably the exact same swap. cept mine was out of a '97 nova. :flipoff2:

jonathan
jmalphr@clemson.edu
[/quote]

I have a 75/76 crossbreed that I put a 78 camaro HEI on. I am powering the distributor from a fusible link off the positive battery terminal via a headlight relay that uses the original distributor power wire as the control power to turn the relay on. This keeps my battery from draining and puts good volts to the HEI. I used tech articles seen in the tech section here as my guidelines. The HEI is definitely better than my stock ignition. My total cost was 25.00, which is probably a good bit less than the ignitor I needed otherwise.

By the way, leaving the key on with the engine off will still discharge my battery. You could prevent damage to the coil/ignition by putting a switch on the dash (or hiding it as a security feature) to shut off just the ignition circuit while allowing ther accessories to be juiced up while the key is "on"

Thanx again fellas for all the input.
Called around friday for a rebuilt, cost me $150 for a rebuilt from Advance with lifetime warrantee. Believe he said it was for a 78-79 Camero inline6 250. That's the one, rt? I could got junking to get it, but I'm doing a resto so i figured I get it rebuilt...lifetime warrantee don't hurt either :D

Yo Han

yeah, that's the way to go man. i couldn't justify spendin the $$$ for the Davis unit.

i did get 2-3 mpg better with the switch, but my timing was a hair off before, so that had something to do with it.

when i got my dist. i gave it a good look over and didn't see anything bad. i checked into some rebuild kits, and they were a lot cheaper than $150 IIRC. you might want to look around. that way you can fix just what you need to, also.

and landpimp, 97...79 whatever. haha

y'all have a good one,
jonathan

oh, and yeah, the 250 I-6 is the one you want.

oh, and if you want any of those dimensions and stuff if you're doin the gear switch yourself, shoot me an email or something, and i'll see what i can tell you.

One of guys I work with decided to change the points distributors in his boat (twin 250 chevy inboards) over to HEI when I told him what I was doing with my Toyo. He got brand new units from NAPA and I believe he paid less than $100 each. (All the junkyards he checked didn't have any)

[quote author=72cruiser link=board=1;threadid=5873;start=msg47936#msg47936 date=1065473975]
oh, and yeah, the 250 I-6 is the one you want.
[/quote]

Cool man, thanx! I'll I'll shop around before I end up getting buying one....or maybe I'll get one outta a junkyard and rebuild it.

Pretty much sounds like a no brianer man.... definately sold on it :D

Thanx again fellas!
Yo Han

yeah it's an awesome switch.

before i got my cruiser i had no "in-depth" knowledge of cruisers or cars for that matter. this was the first real big thing that i did, and honestly, i felt real cool when i did it. i mean, anybody can try to do body work, but when i started pullin junk off the engine and doin stuff to it, i thought that i had officially arrived. :p haha.

good luck with it man.

also, look on ebay if you're having a hard time findin a dist. i looked there first to get an idea on price and found a good number of the right ones. then i just went to a junkyard and found the right car.

jonathan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom