Heavy towing preparation. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm getting ready to move back to MT, about 1100 miles. I just picked up a horse trailer for a song and I'm going to fill it with all my gear and tow it with the 60. I towed it empty about 100 freeway miles today and it tows well, Slow but well. I crawled underneath the rig when i got home and gave the diff and transfer the old touch test to see if they were hot. The diff was just slightly warm but the transfer was a almost too hot to keep my finger on it. What is the normal operating temp of the transfer in a 60? I changed the trans/tranny oil <1000 miles ago. Both were full when I drained them and the oil was honey colored, no chips. I really would rather not cook the transfer in the middle of the oregon desert any ideas on keeping cool while towing heavy loads?

Cheers,
Michael

bummer that no one has replied to this.... i am no expert but i would get some Amsoil Syn. in the transfer and take your time... you should be fine. did you ever crawl under there and touch it previously?

I wouldn't worry about the oil being hot. Think about it like this the coolant in your truck runs right about boiling a little less say 190F the oil in your engine runs hotter than that say 240F. The oil in your engine is made from the same stuff in your transfer case (different viscosities but you get the idea.) Also the transmission gets very hot right around 200+F during normal driving. So long as the oil came out not burnt you should be all right.

I'm no expert here but I don't think the oil will get any hotter with the added load of the filled trailer. If it was an auto tranny with a torque converter, then yes it would generate more heat. But for a gearbox with oil, I think the majority of heat is generated by simply spinning the gears and forcing the oil to circulate rapidly. Going faster would create a higher shear rate in the oil and get hotter but I think the engine will only be able to move the loaded rig at 60-70 mph - maybe less. I'm guessing it will be the same temp as the empty trailer. If it were me, I'd stick a thermocouple to the case so I could watch it during the drive. But hey, I'm a geek.

you can do oil cooler for your tranny to drive safe .. but I thought first you lost your clutch kit before your tranny with porper oil.

Does the standard transmission have a pump to circulate the oil? If not an oil cooler isn't going to do much good.

I think a good fluid change and take it easy and you should be fine.

Tapage said:
you can do oil cooler for your tranny to drive safe .. but I thought first you lost your clutch kit before your tranny with porper oil.

Thanks all,

Empty the cruising speed was @65-70 on the level hills @ 50-55mph I figure about another 800- 1000lbs of furniture and junk will have me racing along about 60mph. I shudder to think what the milage will be. I know the transfer temp was less than 200F so I guess I'll check the levels before I leave and hope for the best. Thanks again for the help.

Regards,
Michael

spare the speed save the rig. Who cares how fast you go? (of course you don't want to be a hazard to navigation by being soooo slow. But Speed = heat. forget about staying in the "flow" be the slow guy with all that trailer weight and distance you gotta go. And going 5mph faster will make very very little difference in your time on the road.

Or you can Hammer the hell out of it and see what happens..

Just a thought (or two)
HD

euclid said:
Does the standard transmission have a pump to circulate the oil? If not an oil cooler isn't going to do much good.

make sence .. :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom