Heavy Dooty Drag link/Tie Rod install. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I got my heavy duty drag link/tie rod from SLEE :D and my new ends from James @ Cruiser Parts :D. I am now ready to install them. I have all the tools..and a good tip from Slee about not taking off the nut totally..so when i pop the OG ends off the rig they wont richochet all over!

Few questions.
  • Slee said to apply Grease to the Ends. It looks like there is a nipple :D on the rubber boots that is for inserting :D a needle tip on the grease gun into. I assume the grease is inside the rubber boot? is this correct?
  • Do i have to put my rig up on jack stands to change the drag link & tie rod or can i just keep it on the ground?
  • Finally..any tips/advice on changing this would be GREATLY appreciated?

I will try to take pics and post during the process.

thanks guys..

joe

No drag link on an 80 IIRC. You're talking about the tie rod from knuckle arm to knuckle arm or the relay rod from box to knuckle arm?

Try to get the same width on the rod/ends as the stock one to minimize alignment issues. Tie rod end puller makes short work of removing the stock ones. You can do the work with the rig on the ground, but I would put it on jack stands and pull the wheels to make it easier.

Quote:

"Tie rod NEVER attaches to the pitman arm or steering box.
Drag link ALWAYS attaches to the steering box, through the pitman arm"

Not to be picky, but....Look at the steering on an FJ-60. The drag link attaches the pittman arm to the tie rod. This is the "cross-over steering" set-up on the 60. The passenger side TRE has a hole for the drag link end to bolt into so the drag link does occasionally attach to the tie rod. ::)

I agree with the basic definitions, though. The drag link runs from the pittman arm to the knuckle, the tie rod just ensures the knuckles, and thus wheels, remain parallel when steering.

I will guess Rockstomper is just trying to get people on the same page and terminology as them as it appears they sell Che%y, F(&d and Heep parts in addition to Toyota. There are probably many different and custom applications out there. Not to be picky, and I don't know if the FJ60 and FJ62 steering are the same but Toyota uses the term relay rod - not drag link for the FJ62. Here is a pic from my 88 FJ62 FSM showing the steering components. Also, here is a link from MAF that shows them using the term relay rod as opposed to drag link.
http://www.man-a-fre.com/feature_items/4+plusextremedutytierelayrod.htm
Bill

Yup. Drag link on a TLC is from the box to the center arm. No center arm on a power steering rig, and no drag link :).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom