Heater not working (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
**problem fixed with second flush with next step being a coolant flush if needed**

After the car had been sitting for near a year and the engine conversion has now finished the heater has decided not to work it’s now a hzj73 so 75 series front, I’ve just done a flush (reverse and normal flow) of the heater core and got a good amount of brown gunk out but tried the heater after and still no go,
There is resistance on the heater lever
The fan is definitely blowing as I get normal air coming out
The tap in the engine bay seems to be opening when moving the lever to hot.
The outlet hose didn’t change temperature at all vs the inlet hose getting warm (once running for 10-15mins)
What are my next options to try and get it working/ diagnosing the issue?
Cheers Sam

Last edited:
Hi
You need to follow the flow of the hot water... So prerequisite #1 is flow.
Check the heater core in and out is not blocked. If you have done a flush there is a chance some gunk came loose and blocks the line now.
I would disconnect the return hose and connect the input hose to a garden hose and very gently (!) let some water flow. Do not apply full pressure!
Does the valve operate mechanical and opens? Linkage ok?
If there is no flow you need to go over all components in the direction of flow and check them individually.
Cheers Ralf

x2 as Felde
they are miniature radiators, probably should even pressure test it at a rad shop, if they are good, they test for free. Lots of fine little tubes in there, beautiful things in themselves which need love, maintenance and considered storage if not in use.
I always leave them fully open in my cars. Or keep them dry, waxed, or submerged in something to stop corrosion when in storage and not being used out of car. Hmm, better go check the spare, thanks.
Feel for ya! The heater core is where the dash virtually starts on the hj75.

Sam, at some stage we should compare notes in melbourne. Tools and contacts at the very least. I am in Heidelberg.

Felde, doesn't felde mean stone or rock of igneous decent? Like feldspar?

Well, no. Feld is German for field. It is the first part of my surname. The added e comes from a sort of local slang that was popular with kids here in the early 90s. Felde was my nickname in school, friends and scouting ever since. 😳 ups. I'm 50 now.. such things stick for life 😁
We had quite a bunch of guys nicknamed the same style in school. Skibbe, Busse, Manne ...
Cheers Ralf

Hi
You need to follow the flow of the hot water... So prerequisite #1 is flow.
Check the heater core in and out is not blocked. If you have done a flush there is a chance some gunk came loose and blocks the line now.
I would disconnect the return hose and connect the input hose to a garden hose and very gently (!) let some water flow. Do not apply full pressure!
Does the valve operate mechanical and opens? Linkage ok?
If there is no flow you need to go over all components in the direction of flow and check them individually.
Cheers Ralf
Cheers ralf
Yeah I started with a reverse flush and then finished with just the normal flow, I was thinking of having a second flush today which might help, and from looking at the linkage and having someone inside the sliding between cold and warm it seems to be opening and closing.
When I flushed the normal flowing way with little pressure it came out with easy but as soon as it’s all back on and connected doesn’t seem to get to the outlet hose.

x2 as Felde
they are miniature radiators, probably should even pressure test it at a rad shop, if they are good, they test for free. Lots of fine little tubes in there, beautiful things in themselves which need love, maintenance and considered storage if not in use.
I always leave them fully open in my cars. Or keep them dry, waxed, or submerged in something to stop corrosion when in storage and not being used out of car. Hmm, better go check the spare, thanks.
Feel for ya! The heater core is where the dash virtually starts on the hj75.
Yeah it might get to the point of a radiator shop I’ve got one not too far from me. Yeah I’ve been told it’s not a fun job to get to either.
Sam, at some stage we should compare notes in melbourne. Tools and contacts at the very least. I am in Heidelberg.

Yeah it’d definitely be worth doing!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom