Heater fan work... then stop.... then work again... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

David*BJ70

Looking forward to reach the end of the world
Threads
I got a strange problem with my BJ70 heater fan.

The heater fan work great at HI but after severale minute it stop. This problem seem to occure when I select hot temperature (Don't seem to happen for cold temperature (??)).

The strange thing is the fan work again after it stop for a medium-long period.

Is that problem come from a bad "resistance" in the fan motor ?

Where is that "resistance"? How hard is to change it ?

Is that already happen to someone ?

Be careful with it Dave. It happened to this owner and it caught fire:eek:
1HZ PICS 052 (Small).jpg
1HZ PICS 060 (Small).jpg

roscoFJ73 said:
Be careful with it Dave. It happened to this owner and it caught fire:eek:

Someone have better news for me ;) ?

looking at the fire pics begs the question " why didn't the fuse blow before the fire started"??

pull the connector to your blower, hook up a positive and grn wire to your multimeter, drive around with the switch on and have a passenger see if the voltage cuts on and off. you might have a bad connection.

if the brushes were worn out on the motor it would only run on hi, and possibly cut on and off. as it hits different spots on armature.

so if you got good voltage, then pull the blower motor, disassemble the motor assembly and inspect the brushes. I am presuming it has brushes..

since I have not done this job I am guessing. but a good electric motor rebuild shop in your area could also rebuild the blower. chances are it needs only new brushes and maybe a bearing.

I have gotten generic brushes and sanded them to fit an application before. most of the time the catalogues the guys in those shops have can find something close to your dimensions. they sand very easily to set up. just don't breath the dust eh?

best of luck.

brownbear said:
looking at the fire pics begs the question " why didn't the fuse blow before the fire started"??

pull the connector to your blower, hook up a positive and grn wire to your multimeter, drive around with the switch on and have a passenger see if the voltage cuts on and off. you might have a bad connection.

if the brushes were worn out on the motor it would only run on hi, and possibly cut on and off. as it hits different spots on armature.

so if you got good voltage, then pull the blower motor, disassemble the motor assembly and inspect the brushes. I am presuming it has brushes..

since I have not done this job I am guessing. but a good electric motor rebuild shop in your area could also rebuild the blower. chances are it needs only new brushes and maybe a bearing.

I have gotten generic brushes and sanded them to fit an application before. most of the time the catalogues the guys in those shops have can find something close to your dimensions. they sand very easily to set up. just don't breath the dust eh?

best of luck.

Along these lines, check the actual fan switch at the dash panel, it's possible you have a bad connection here as well. Test using a multimeter on the postive wire to the fan motor, compare results when the fan is working and when it is not.

with severale test... I realize that the heater fan stop after ± 5 minutes with cold or hot air... but just when the speed is at HI... nothing... it work great all the time at other speed....

strange.

I will check the fan motor... but anyway, heater fan motor is about 160$ CAN in toyota dealer... not so bad... but I will prefer to spend money on other thing...

BYe

there is a resistor that goes on the fans, about $20 and a PITA to fix...
the ceramic coating breaks off...
cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom