Headlights - Smoked or Green? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
It seems like the photos of headlights on the websites that sell them don’t necessarily show what you’re going to get. So I’m trying to understand what exactly is the difference is between the sport package and non sport. The ones they label as smoked look normal. The non sport looks like they have a green tint.
My problem is the PO replaced only one headlight. The new one looks perfectly clear and nothing looks smoky or green about it. The other is the typical hazed from the inside.

i just want to buy a headlight that will match the one I already have. Can anyone confirm that the non-sport headlight has that greenish background reflector? If not, then can you show me what an actual smoked reflector looks like?
Thanks

It seems like the photos of headlights on the websites that sell them don’t necessarily show what you’re going to get. So I’m trying to understand what exactly is the difference is between the sport package and non sport. The ones they label as smoked look normal. The non sport looks like they have a green tint.
My problem is the PO replaced only one headlight. The new one looks perfectly clear and nothing looks smoky or green about it. The other is the typical hazed from the inside.

i just want to buy a headlight that will match the one I already have. Can anyone confirm that the non-sport headlight has that greenish background reflector? If not, then can you show me what an actual smoked reflector looks like?
Thanks

With good lighting it's hard to see the subtle smoke on the chrome but you should be able to tell the difference. The green is pretty obvious
1615213578443.png

Sport vs Non Sport
1615213803107.png

1615213911073.png

Thanks. So it seems like in the NON spot headlight, there is a visible green tint. Correct? The newer headlight that I have just looks like shiny chrome inside, without a green tint. Ssso, the PO must have gotten the “sport” version to replace the old one, probably due to a collision.

Thanks. So it seems like in the NON spot headlight, there is a visible green tint. Correct? The newer headlight that I have just looks like shiny chrome inside, without a green tint. Ssso, the PO must have gotten the “sport” version to replace the old one, probably due to a collision.
As far as I know, correct. OEM Non-sport has the green tint and Sport has the smokier tint.

But there are aftermarket headlights that have neither, just clear and chrome...

As far as I know, correct. OEM Non-sport has the green tint and Sport has the smokier tint.

But there are aftermarket headlights that have neither, just clear and chrome...
Yeah, I've seen those as well but wasn't sure if it was just the picture playing tricks or what.

I am looking to replace my headlight due to the classic foggyness due to UV light. I have replaced my 2008 Tundra headlights with aftermarket blacked out and my son's 2012 Highlander with aftermarket blacked out but I can not find any blacked out headlight replacements for my 2004 GX, anybody have a source?

Thanks!

T lights.jpg

Lights.jpg

H lights.jpg

H both.jpg

I haven't been able to find any blacked out headlights either. My GX has newer Depot sport headlights, but the chrome just doesn't jive with the rest of the GX as I've literally blacked out everything else except the Lexus logo in the grille.

This winter I'm going to remove the lights, pop them open with a heat gun, spray paint the chrome black, and then put them back together with new seal material and a heat gun. I really wish someone would make an aftermarket blacked-out light instead....

I haven't been able to find any blacked out headlights either. My GX has newer Depot sport headlights, but the chrome just doesn't jive with the rest of the GX as I've literally blacked out everything else except the Lexus logo in the grille.

This winter I'm going to remove the lights, pop them open with a heat gun, spray paint the chrome black, and then put them back together with new seal material and a heat gun. I really wish someone would make an aftermarket blacked-out light instead....

Thanks, I wouldn't mind taking my old ones apart to paint but they are foggy. I would hate to buy brand new lights and then just take them apart...

Do you have a closer pic of your sport lights to see the "black chrome"?

See attached. I have yet to open these and black them out. The lenses are smoked a bit and the chrome appears a bit darker, but it is still too shiny for my tastes.

20210611_095744.jpg

If anyone wants to look into the paint/smoking technique it's been really common in the VW world. Search for "Joey Mod" and you'll find all kinds of info.

Check out BXbuilt.com. They are one of the few companies that makes custom headlights for the GX. They use new Depo headlights and modify them….they are spendy but are by far the coolest headlights I’ve seen on a GX.

Modify the stock projectors so you get rid of the uplight and add some clear projector lenses that are properly spaced and you can get great performance for $50.
GX470 HID.jpg

Succesfully blacked mine out a few weeks ago. Really easy mod.
20211026_172851.jpg

Modify the stock projectors so you get rid of the uplight and add some clear projector lenses that are properly spaced and you can get great performance for $50.
View attachment 2832615

You have my attention!

I've never messed with anything inside projectors, what was the modification like? Any links/pics?

Also, which lenses did you use? I'm curious if they will hold up to UV better than a Depo, or an old OEM that has been coated. I'm at the point where I need to clear coat my lenses as they fade within 6 months no matter what I coat them with (after a good polishing each time).

Both Depo and OEM have a open flap that allows up-light, I bent them flat and taped over the opening with aluminum ducting tape. Then a bought some 2.5 inch clear lenses from TRS and swapped out the stock projector lenses. I had to 3d print a ring around the new lens for it to fit snug in the lens holder. Depo headlights already have a clear lens but it isn't properly spaced so that will need to be done with some thin washers. Lower pic is a Depo projector flap. OEM isn't removable like depo but it can still be bent flat or removed. Then you just tape over the opening.
_20170113_212006-jpg.1699337

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom