Headlights not working (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok, all of a sudden my headlights stopped working. Not the fuses, i made sure, usually the fuses just blow but this time no fuses blown. So i am thinking it is the headlight switch because recently the turning part of the switch, the one that controls how bright the instrument lights are, only works when turned to full brightness. How can i test the headlight switch and the high beam switch? I bought an aftermarket toggle switch that i am planning on replacing with.

The dimmer and the headlights are on two different pieces of the headlight switch. I'm not saying that the whole switch might not be bad, but they are somewhat separate. Anyway pull the switch real quick and test it, the headlights are on the right two spades with the switch knob facing you. Simple really, you pull the switch the connection is made. If the switch is ok, check the dimmer in the steering column, I had to adjust the metal fingers on mine before the system would work.

When i said dimmer i meant the headlight switch that you can turn left and right to control the brightness of the instrument lights. I thought the high beam switch was on the steering column.

When i said dimmer i meant the headlight switch that you can turn left and right to control the brightness of the instrument lights. I thought the high beam switch was on the steering column.

I did as well, and yes the high beam swicth (sometimes also called a dimmer) is on the column. They work together, the column dimmer and the headlight switch. The dashboard lights are on a dimmer POT in the headlight switch. Sorry if the wording was confusing, the factory wiring diagrams all call the high beam switch a dimmer, and since I've been pouring over those for weeks it's just stuck in my
head.

This diagram is good, with the exception of the ignition switch being incorrect, but it's valid for this topic.

http://www.yankeetoys.org/documents/wiring_diagram_78_fj40.pdf

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom