Headlamps (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I don't have any personal experience with that model, however I keep both a led long burning headlamp and a halogen spot beam in the cruiser when camping/hunting etc. I've got one of those Petzl's with 3 leds and 3 AAA batteries that runs for over 100 hours. I gave a friend a Black Diamond led headlamp with 4 or 5 leds that I really like. I would just go to the largest outdoors store near you and see what they have and what you like. As a general rule anything with led's is only going to be good for close range proximity lighting, my led lamp is more of a emergency backup and for around the campsite than anything else, since the halogen is brighter, for this reason I wouldn't want my LED and Halogen headlamps to be the same unit, although for some it may like having them together to save space.
When it comes to headlamps I don't have any brand preferences, just whatever fits my needs.

I run only the Black Diamond Gemini for adventure races over 24 Hours, and use both the Gemini and Petzels for SAR. I really like both, but if you want one as an all around, I'd highly recommend either the Duo (if weight is not an issue) or the Gemini (if you want to save a few ounces).

I would stay away (READ: Avoid like the plague....) the Princeton Tech headlamps. They make great flashlights, but the headlamps are, IMO and experience, woefully inadequate in burn time and battery life, as well as bulb quality. (Ask me how I got to do a 250' free rappel in the dark... :mad: )

That being said, I have found the leds to be merely adequate for fast hiking at night. Additionally, be very aware that you do not get good penetrating light with leds. They're really good for map reading or close work, but if you're moving fast over rough terrain, or on a trail where there is risk of ankle injury from rocks, etc. you'll want a regular bulb. Halogen is fine, but only for occasional use, as the burn time for most lights is only 3-5 hours with the halogen bulb. Obviously this is not long enough to get you through the night without spare batteries.

The new Petzels, with 5 leds, seem to be a good compromise; however, I haven't had the opportunity to use one in the field.

This is where the Gemini really shines. The led is pretty weak, but adequate, the normal bulb has a fantastic burn time, and there is a backup halogen bulb in the battery case.

Another hint. Drop the coin for lithium batteries. They last longer and are lighter then regular batteries.

HTH

-H-

I have a P-tech led headlamp, a copy of the Zipka I believe. Still on the first set of batteries after several extended camping trips. Its bright enough for what I need it for, around campsite and cruiser emergencys.

Well my applications for this would be mostly camping weekends and some hiking, and just other various stuff. I like this one over the black diamond one because of the dual option and the massive amount of LEDs on it (8), also since it has the battery pack it burns twice as long which is awsome. Also itd save a lot of weight in my pack for that heafty mag-light(trash for camping). Thanks for the opinions guys looks like ima ask my GF for one 8).

for just an all round inexpensive headlamp that WORKS, go to walmart and have a look at the rayovak. it has a small krypton spot, with one white led and two red leds. it sells for $13 and cant be beat for the $$.

I have the Streamlight clipmate and uses it around the house for the misc chores. It is a bit bulky for a headlight, but the light can also be removed from the headband and used as a small flashlight. It can be clipped anywhere, like on a hat.

Get the Petzl.

You get what you pay for and it will not let you down.

Have been in several situations that would have been extremely dicey if it had failed.

Been using petzels for the last 9years....good stuff.... think some of the LED ones now aren't waterproof, but alot are.... sure blackdiamond and others are good too, but I never had any issues with petzels... so I've stuck with em.

Yo Han

RayOVac sells a nifty and cheap LED/Halogen headlamp. ACE Hardware (at least in Palo Alto) carries them. Only downside is that they run on 3 AAA batteries... so i've always got a 4th battery floating aroun (but never three floating around, of course). It has held up well over the last year- rain, dust, mud and tropical heat. You can choose from either 2 red LED (great for rummaging about without waking up everyone in camp, or for not killing your night vision), 1 blue/white LEDs, (when color matters), or 1 halogen bulb that sucks the batteries down quickly but is much brighter -- nice when you need it.
Cost a year ago was about $20, with batteries

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom