Head Gaskets... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

RMS

Threads
My wife's '96 FZJ80 mallcruiser blew a headgasket at 89,000 miles. No overheating, just blew. Dealer fixed it for $1100 and stated it's not unusual for these to go but I shouldn't worry about a re-occurance as the new gasket has been improved. Searching this site, defective head gaskets seem to be a 'known' liability. My question is if anyone has had any success in getting Toyota to compensate (full or partial) them for this issue. Thanks, Bob

Bob,
I have heard of several replaced under an extended warranty and Toyota or the warranty company picked up the bill.

I have not heard of anyone that convinced Toyota to pick up the bill for a vehicle that is out of warranty.

Go git 'em Bob, and please post back if you are successful.

-B-

(BTW, you got a BARGAIN at $1,100 )

(BTW, you got a BARGAIN at $1,100 )

Geeze, I guess so. Cost me more like $4K, but some of that was for the valve job, PHH, other hoses/belts I asked them to replace, and S/C workarounds they had to do. :p

But I'm curious about their new and improved head gasket...nobody mentioned this to me at the time. Is this real or are they just trying to make you feel better about it? Did they give you a part number?

Tom

The head gasket has been superceeded twice. The original number was 11115-66020, replaced by 11115-66030, replaced by 11115-66031 (current number).

D-

Dan,

Is the first HG installed in all '97 ? and has been updated twice since then ?
Do we have TRD one for it ?

Frank.

Frank, I do not know the revision dates. That information is not visible to dealers. I save old price books and the October 1997 book only shows the 11115-66020. That leads me to assume that all production engines will have had the first gasket installed during assembly.
TRD does not offer a head gasket for the 1FZ nor does any aftermarket supplier(that I am aware of, anyway).

It is important to note that a manufacturer may make changes at any time to products without incurring any liability to retrto-fit changed designs into previous versions. If that was the case, nobody would ever improve anything. (Too expensive)

D-

Dan,

Do you have dates associated with those HG revisions? I'm just curious about which one I got this summer (or should have gotten). I'll have to find and check my invoice for that.

Is there any significant difference you know of? I imagine they make incremental improvements as they find the need, but I would also imagine that they tell the dealers why they make the changes. Maybe that's expecting too much... ???

Tom

Tom,

No, they don't usually say why a number has changed. The most recent number has been around for a while so I imagine that you have that one sitting on top of your block. I do not know what was changed. It could vary from a change in vendor to a complete reworking of the part and everything in between. Sorry to be so evasive, I simply can't answer better than that.

D-

An aluminum head I-6 is just about gonna have head gasket problems at some point. It's a big ol' part that expands and contracts at a different rate at the part it's mated to. It's not a known liability on Toyota's part, although 96K and and 8 years is a little early. I wonder if they replaced the head when the PHH was leaking.
What I like about the LC head gasket leaks is that they tend not to leak into the oil passages or the cumbustion chambers, but rather out of the engine where it causes little immediate and hidden harm other than lowering the coolant level.

[quote author=Gumby link=board=2;threadid=6085;start=msg48890#msg48890 date=1065660075]
An aluminum head I-6 is just about gonna have head gasket problems at some point. It's a big ol' part that expands and contracts at a different rate at the part it's mated to. It's not a known liability on Toyota's part, although 96K and and 8 years is a little early. I wonder if they replaced the head when the PHH was leaking.
What I like about the LC head gasket leaks is that they tend not to leak into the oil passages or the cumbustion chambers, but rather out of the engine where it causes little immediate and hidden harm other than lowering the coolant level.
[/quote]

You wonder why toyota just doesn't make a cast iron head to match the block like on the mil-spec version? How much more could that cost?

>> How much more could that cost? <<
From C-Dan, about $10,000

RDAH,
-B-
(New, old acronymn for this forum.)

Thanks for the replies, guys. I'll try a letter to Toyota and see how it goes. If anything comes of it, I'll let you know...
Bob

You may find a hi/po manufacturer willing to build a small run of gaskets.... another good way to get a headgasket to last longer is to drop the head bolts, and replace them with studs/nuts. I don't know of anyone who makes them... there is a chance a stud from ARP for one of their Toyota applications could work????

[quote author=Beowulf link=board=2;threadid=6085;start=msg49111#msg49111 date=1065717890]

>> How much more could that cost? <<
From C-Dan, about $10,000

RDAH,
-B-
(New, old acronymn for this forum.)
[/quote]

If the head itself is $10K, how can TGS sell the UN/mil-spec 105's w/ cast iron heads for $30K, and that's with goodies like subtank, altitude compensator, etc.? I guess one could theoretically go to one of those UN junkyards in Bosnia and pull the iron head off a 1FZ-FE.

-Jim

Jim,
That was just a jab at C-Dan. How Toyota USA prices parts has been a mystery to all of us. Over $1,200 for a radio, almost $3,000 for a steering box, yet less than $25 for OEM shocks. Doesn't make much sense when some things are cheaper than AutoZone and much higher quality and some new parts cost more than an older truck is worth.

Nobody could afford a to buy a '94 that needed a new steering box, was missing the OEM radio, and had bad cats. (That's an exaggeration, but you get the point.)

-B-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom