head gasket leak (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
got 85 runner 22re,leaks coolant,thought it was hose from water pump to pipe it wasnt.So get out handy pressure tester,pump up to 30 psi and it appears to be leaking out of head gasket near front and rear of engine on driver side(unless it is just running down between head and block from some hidden place).First question,has anyone seen this type of leak before?and is there any other common spot on rear and front of head that is hard to see that is prone to leaking.I know that toyota is prone to head gasket trouble but I have never seen one leak externally.Darn aluminum cylinder heads!!!!

Last edited:
Yup. Seen it twice on a 22RE. Start buying parts.

turns out it was just the coolant cross over plate in the rear of the head.bolt was missing put one in and it stoppd leaking

turns out it was just the coolant cross over plate in the rear of the head.bolt was missing put one in and it stoppd leaking

How were you able to identify the problem? Did you have to pull the engine to get access to that location? I know I'm leaking from the same place, but can't figure out for the life of me how to gain access to it.

Thanks!

i was gonna suggest that.

you shouldnt apply 30 pounds to the system.

the cap is rated at 13-15 pounds, any more than that can cause damage.

How were you able to identify the problem? Did you have to pull the engine to get access to that location? I know I'm leaking from the same place, but can't figure out for the life of me how to gain access to it.

Thanks!

its not that hard. you just gotta get in there and kill it!

the best way to identify a leak there is to grab a gritty pillow, lay it across the core support, a flashlight, a inspection mirror.

look at the back cover. 5 bolts!

gotta have a gearwrench. use a regular wrench to break the bolts free. gear wrenches tend to slip.

get the bolts off by feel. forget looking at them.

the fun part is cleaning the head.
razor blade and or emry cloth. just DO IT!!!

they use a gasket. use the slightest amount of rtv to hold the gasket on.

i did one last week in 50 minutes

according to the instructions in my pressure tester your supposed to pressurize it to 25-30psi.

Well isn't it a good thing that you need to remove the rad. cap to get you pressure tester on there............:rolleyes:

I think he meant to the rest of the system... The cap is the last thing an over pressurized system would hurt, as it's meant to open at too high of a pressure.... Blowing a hose/seal would be th3e concern.

The cooling system is designed to hold pressure, as we all know.... IMO i don't think 30 psi is too much for a pressure test........... But it doesnt matter I guess....... :meh:

Last edited:
I think he meant to the rest of the system... The cap is the last thing an over pressurized system would hurt, as it's meant to open at too high of a pressure.... Blowing a hose/seal would be th3e concern.

The cooling system is designed to hold pressure, as we all know.... IMO i don't think 30 psi is too much for a pressure test........... But it doesnt matter I guess....... :meh:
right jerod, thats what i meant

regardless of the what your instructions say,
i am telling you from experience that you should not over pressurize the system more than what is is rated to operate at.
i have worked professionally many years in a shop, and remember, sometimes you gotta F up to learn.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom