Head gasket/compression tips? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

re_guderian

SILVER Star
Threads
Upper radiator pipe snapped on the '00 Avalon today. No bueno...

Radiator
20141025_221629[1].jpg

Oil Dipstick
20141025_215550[1].jpg

Assuming the bubbles on the dipstick aren't good. I wasn't driving, but the report was that it didn't totally overheat. I've never had to deal with head gasket issues before. What's the best method to check to see the condition of the head gaskets? Assuming they'd be first to go in an overheat? 1MZ-FE 3.0 V6 engine, if that helps. 190K on the car, water pump, hoses, timing belt done ~2 years/15K miles ago.

Cylinder leak down test would be one way.

Or - after you change your radiator, see if you get the white condensation from the exhaust upon start up and also see how it idles ( rough?). Also will give off a sweet smell when driving. If runs ok, then do a coolant chemical test on the coolant for signs of exhaust gasses. The fluid will change color if that is the case.
Kind of like a auto pregnancy test....

Good luck Rob

Thanks, I'll do both of these. Car isn't worth much resale-wise (before this) but has been super reliable and I have two more teenage drivers coming up shortly, so would like to get it back on the road.

Cylinder leak down test would be one way.

Or - after you change your radiator, see if you get the white condensation from the exhaust upon start up and also see how it idles ( rough?). Also will give off a sweet smell when driving. If runs ok, then do a coolant chemical test on the coolant for signs of exhaust gasses. The fluid will change color if that is the case.
Kind of like a auto pregnancy test....

Good luck Rob

What's your opinion on the radiator gas test thingamabob? I would assume it only reads exhaust gases getting into the coolant and not a head gasket failure where only antifreeze is entering the cylinder?

What's your opinion on the radiator gas test thingamabob? I would assume it only reads exhaust gases getting into the coolant and not a head gasket failure where only antifreeze is entering the cylinder?
My experience , opinion is that this has about a 90% accuracy. Not perfect though

Blackstone kit ordered, gonna drain the oil and set some aside, and start some disassembly...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom