HE Edition retrofit (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
In searching for a HE and hearing the "Market Adjustments" of $15-35k that dealers are adding to their price, has anyone looked at the costs involved to retrofit a 200 series cruiser to the HE edition? In talking with my local dealer you would need the following:

HE Grill
HE headlights
Yakima roof
HE wheels

Anything that I missed?

Removing the steps, cool box and third row seats (unless you are trying to simulate a three row Heritage).

You can't replicate the bronze stitching or black headliner/black seating surfaces on a base 200.

Don't forget the poser badges on the D pillar. :)

In searching for a HE and hearing the "Market Adjustments" of $15-35k that dealers are adding to their price, has anyone looked at the costs involved to retrofit a 200 series cruiser to the HE edition? In talking with my local dealer you would need the following:

HE Grill
HE headlights
Yakima roof
HE wheels

Anything that I missed?
Yeah. Forget the roof rack.

And yes this has been covered in a bulld thread somewhere in this section of the forum

Also the body work required to remove the door molding.

Depending on how picky you want to get, seats aren't just the stitching, it is the older non-semi-anilene leather.

Black headliner with black seats.. I seem to remember base models with black interior had a light headliner.

Also the body work required to remove the door molding.

Depending on how picky you want to get, seats aren't just the stitching, it is the older non-semi-anilene leather.

Black headliner with black seats.. I seem to remember base models with black interior had a light headliner.
Yep. I was talking with Eric Sarjeant about buying one last year and you couldn't get a base with black interior and black pillar trim/headliner. I wanted a black interior/black headliner, and that meant HE. (Unfortunately, it didn't work out, and I got a used '16 with a light colored pillar trim and headliner rather than the HE I really wanted, instead.)

Yep. I was talking with Eric Sarjeant about buying one last year and you couldn't get a base with black interior and black pillar trim/headliner. I wanted a black interior/black headliner, and that meant HE. (Unfortunately, it didn't work out, and I got a used '16 with a light colored pillar trim and headliner rather than the HE I really wanted, instead.)
Yachts, houses, planes, watches, 40yr scotch, travel… none of it makes me wish I had big money. But the ability to buy whatever vehicles I want whenever I want and store/ride/drive/track/maintain them…

Some of my friends think I’m joking when I say I could spend a hypothetical $50M on cars and motorcycles in a day. I absolutely could. And a HE would be near the top of the list.

Here is my "Heritage" build from a base 200. You also have to remove the chrome on the doors.

I found a pretty realistic looking heritage grille on eBay. From the DR or PR I think. 250. They have some YouTube videos of converting early LC200 to more modern look.

After I’m done with my functional projects I was gonna do some cosmetic mods.

Let me know if anyone orders and can review the quality.

Last edited:
For me, I went with the HE because I didn‘t want the cool box, the 3rd row seats, or 2nd row entertainment. The BBS wheels and heritage badges were a nice bonus. But I honestly don’t think it’s worth the cost and effort to try to turn a regular LC into a HE. Just as I never got why Mercedes G550 owners went to great lengths to make them look like G63’s. The most important difference was the much more powerful engine.

For me, I went with the HE because I didn‘t want the cool box, the 3rd row seats, or 2nd row entertainment. The BBS wheels and heritage badges were a nice bonus. But I honestly don’t think it’s worth the cost and effort to try to turn a regular LC into a HE. Just as I never got why Mercedes G550 owners went to great lengths to make them look like G63’s. The most important difference was the much more powerful engine.
I paid $75k for my LC brand new before the modifications. Turning it into a HE was at least as cheap as HE's were going for at the time. There was no effort for me, as Eric Sarjeant did it. I love the cool box, and I did at the time want the third row. It has since been removed, however.

2020 2-row rear springs are visibly different from base model. Less wraps and thinner wire. I have to assume this means a different rate.

So far we haven’t seen if a 3-row HE has the same springs as a base model, and my parts program only goes up to 2019

I bought a new 2021 LC earlier this year and am trying to make a few HE-style modifications. So far I've 1) removed the 3rd row seats and replaced the cargo mat with a HE mat, 2) added the HE D pillar badges and 3) deleted some of the chrome. I'm interested in replacing the grille with the HE grille. It looks like there are as many as 4 or 5 parts to the grille assembly, but I can't tell which ones are the same as the standard grille and wouldn't need to be replaced. Has anyone done this conversion and can advise as to which of those parts are needed to swap out the grille?

Hopefully parts for genuine HE's will be available in the future and they don't run out of stock from people trying to make theirs look like HE's. :) This was actually something that didn't occur to me when I bought mine, but some of the parts are bound to be scarce over time given that they didn't build a huge number of HE's. Do keep in mind that some dealers have been requiring VINs to order some of the HE parts, such as the wheels. I went with the HE simply because I didn't want the coolbox, rear seat entertainment, or 3rd row seats; I do like the HE wheels, but the other cosmetic differences really weren't a big deal to me one way or the other.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom