HDJ80 Regear (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello guys

recently got hold of a 96 LHD HDJ80 Manual to US. its got 430K kilometers. I got a 93 FZJ80 now with 4.88 nitro gears on 35's Nitto Trail grappler. 2.5'OME. got about 1000 lb accessories on the fzj. currently swapping all the added accessories from fzj to hdj80 including tires and lift kits . should i swap both front and rear Diff ( Third Member) to the hdj80 too. my fzj80 gonna be back to Stock truck and i don't need 4.88 on it. does hdj80 need the 4.88 gears with all that added accessories. i will be doing occasional Wheeling and mostly highways and city driving. does it affect the drivability or fuel consumption of hdj80 if i swapped the 4.88's in it.

what other PM'S should i be looking at this mileage.

Last edited:
Manual 80-series seem to be overgeared to start with so 4.88's and 35's might not be the best combo. I would swap everything over (but not the gears) and see how you like it before swapping thirds.

Does one or the other have factory lockers? If so that is going to complicate things further as the housings are different.

Manual 80-series seem to be overgeared to start with so 4.88's and 35's might not be the best combo. I would swap everything over (but not the gears) and see how you like it before swapping thirds.

Does one or the other have factory lockers? If so that is going to complicate things further as the housings are different.
Thank you. both have factory lockers.

Manual HDJ80 is a little high geared off-road IMO.
The H151F gearbox has high 1st and 2nd gear ratios because the turbo diesel has loads of torque once the turbo is in play.
On road, you can launch in 2nd gear a lot of the time.

Off-road, in low range 1st gear and standard gearing the hdj80 struggle at times in steep terrain. The turbo diesel lacks torque until the revs are up a bit and the on boost.

My hzj105 did much better in the steeper terrain with a lower first gear and more compression and more torque at idle.

I'd seriously consider putting reduction gears in the transfer case for lower gearing off-road and keep the stock gearing for highway use

Manual HDJ80 is a little high geared off-road IMO.
The H151F gearbox has high 1st and 2nd gear ratios because the turbo diesel has loads of torque once the turbo is in play.
On road, you can launch in 2nd gear a lot of the time.

Off-road, in low range 1st gear and standard gearing the hdj80 struggle at times in steep terrain. The turbo diesel lacks torque until the revs are up a bit and the on boost.

My hzj105 did much better in the steeper terrain with a lower first gear and more compression and more torque at idle.

I'd seriously consider putting reduction gears in the transfer case for lower gearing off-road and keep the stock gearing for highway use
Thank you. Can u purchase Reduction gears for HDJ80