Has it ever happened to you? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This week I decided to replace my bushings and birfields with new units. I had a growling sound coming from the front end and noticed oil dripping from the knuckle studs shortly after I performed the last birfield rebuild.

First I was incredibly pissed that the seals were leaking again after JUST performing a rebuild, but I thought it would give me a chance to really tighten up the front end with new kit.

When I installed the new Toyota inner axle seal, I noticed a spring was floating around in gear oil just inside of the seal. I concluded that it must have been the spring from the previous seal.

Then as I proceeded through repacking my bearings and replacing the dust seal, I noticed the spring had come off the inside of the wheel hub/bearing seal. I thought for sure it must be a defective seal so I grabbed another and installed it to have the same thing happen.

I then concluded that the springs must have been coming off due to the shock load of using my NEW Harbor Freight seal/race driver. The uniform impact must have been enough to dislodge the springs from the dust seals AND the inner axle seals.

Has this ever happened to you? I am currently tearing apart my drivers side YET AGAIN to replace the seal that had the spring come off.

Could this be why there are so many reports of axles leaking again after rebuilds? Food for thought...

I freeze the seals prior to install requiring no need to beat on them hard along with a fine layer of grease. Never a problem having done many without the use a seal driver.

Note: Never owned or used a seal driver.:meh:

Last edited:
Freezing, greasing, definitely good tricks to keep in-mind. Can't believe how something so simple can be such a PITA.

Freezing, greasing, definitely good tricks to keep in-mind. Can't believe how something so simple can be such a PITA.

I have found by freezing races and seals you can usually get them started with your fingers.

What a hassle, seems like this would be more of a known issue if you have experienced it that frequently? I usually grease the lip of the seal when installing, but not because I am trying to keep the seal springamabob from coming off.:hmm:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom