Has Anyone Had A Tranny Failure? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anyone experienced a tranny failure?

If so, please post details - mileage, any related events, driving patterns, maintenance issues, etc.

Just curious. (Been reading all the posts about people changing tranny fluid, and was reminded that not only have I NOT changed my fluid yet at 106k, but I never even pulled the dipstick until after 100k...hehe)

Also searching 95-97 80's will yield few transmission problems. They carried over the same transmission into the 100. A343F.

there r a few threads about pre-02 or 01 tranny failure inquiries...not sure what the verdict is but remembered coming across this thread...

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=51809&highlight=tranny

enjoy the holiday weekend
bill

I notice the bit about that failed trans having been flushed twice or more. Flushing...may be a case of an unnecessary treatment that might actually do harm in some cases. (If solvents or other cleaning agents are used, and/or if the process is not absolutely clean & contaminant-free - which NEVER happens in a shop.)

(PS - For the man who loves his job, EVERY DAY is a holiday!
Right? Do I hear "right"? Anyone?....hehe)

I had heard of a lawsuit of Jiffy lube or Grease Monkey because the machines were not actually flushing and were causing more harm than good - is this the case?
Still searching for the best method to "Start Clean" on a used vehicle.

This method from the 80s board as fine tuned over the course of the thread is the best method I've seen and is probably superior to many of the machine "exchanges".

Tranmission Fluid Exchange from 80s FAQ (by Snowcruiser)

Nothing wong with the Drain and Fill either for baselining. Lubrication pros at BITOG have recommended 2-5k between drain and fills to allow the new fluid's additives time and the temperatures to do their magic before draining. No personal knowledge so use your judgement.

Get a new drain crush gasket to prevent leaks. You may get away with out it but for less than $2 it's a good idea or you could end up with a leak.

12 qt Dry Fill - 3.7 qt Drain and Fill

1st D&F = ~31% new fluid
2nd D&F = ~52% new fluid
3rd D&F = ~67% new fluid
4th D&F = ~76% new fluid - At this point you will have used ~15 qts of fluid doing D&Fs. The above exchange will not be 100% efficient but can you beat 76% ?
5th D&F = ~83% new fluid
6th D&F = ~89% new fluid

Feel free to check my math.

Last edited:
This method from the 80s board as fine tuned over the course of the thread is the best method I've seen and is probably superior to many of the machine "exchanges".

Nothing wong with the Drain and Fill either for baselining. Lubrication pros at BITOG have recommended 2-5k between drain and fills to allow the new fluid's additives time and the temperatures to do their magic before draining. No personal knowledge so use your judgement.

Get a new drain crush gasket to prevent leaks. You may get away with out it but for less than $2 it's a good idea or you could end up with a leak.

1st D&F = ~31% new fluid
2nd D&F = ~52% new fluid
3rd D&F = ~67% new fluid
4th D&F = ~76% new fluid - At this point you will have used ~15 qts of fluid doing D&Fs. The above exchange will not be 100% efficient but can you beat 76% ?
5th D&F = ~83% new fluid
6th D&F = ~89% new fluid

Anyone dropped their pan? I wonder how much particulate accumulates in the pan in service, with this tranny?

In a previous life, I always dropped the pan when changing fluid. Most transmissions back in those ancient times had a fluid filter at the fluid intake in the pan, and this was also changed at that time. But also, the pan collected various interesting particulate - clutch pack material, bronze from bushings, and various steel particulate from various steel parts like gears. Good to clean that stuff out, but also good to see it to get clues about wear happening inside the tranny.

(Now you know why I always try to be gentle on the gas pedal during shifts...every gearshift involves a clutch pack or clutch band slipping for a bit, and heavier loads/speeds really increase the amount of heat & wear on those parts during shifts.)

My thoughts are to drop the pan, then replace pan & refill with estimated # qts fluid but not run engine yet. Then do the cooler hose purge trick to replace the rest of the fluid in the system.

Other comments?

1st D&F = ~31% new fluid
2nd D&F = ~52% new fluid
3rd D&F = ~67% new fluid
5th D&F = ~83% new fluid
6th D&F = ~89% new fluid

This is the method I use also and it's the only method that leaves me feeling the most comfortable. I would never have a 'jiffy lube' or other 'lube spot' touch any of my vehicles. Basic stuff like this is just too easy to do rather than pawn off to someone else and risk that small chance that something not be done correctly. Upon starting the 'baseline' on the 80 and 100 I did a drain & fill 5 times, once every 2 days which was 60 miles of driving, and then do it every 5,000 miles when I change the engine oil. I also drain and fill the power steering fluid every time I replace the engine oil.

I did the entire trans flush on my 80, using a fluid exchange machine at a local shop, took 18 quarts to make sure everything was new. Used Mobil synthetic trans fluid. I think this is a much better way to change the fluid. I would never use anything in the trans other then trans fluid.

tranny failure

Mine went at 70k on my lx470. Common problem I was told. Cruising along at 75mph and the top gear went.:crybaby: Pricey

Mine went at 70k on my lx470. Common problem I was told. Cruising along at 75mph and the top gear went.:crybaby: Pricey

Details - what year LX, what was the service history, was the transmission ever flushed with anything other then transmission fluid, did you tow with the vehicle if so weigh and how often???

not common from what i know. anyone else think this is common? i think you were told wrong....

I started a poll several months ago about this after hearing that the trannies in earlier 100s had been failing a lot. However, out of the many visitors in this site, there were only a few who posted that they had experienced tranny failures.

I do not think it is a common problem either. My guess is that the percentage of trannies that fail on earlier 100s is less than 3-4 percent.

Edit: Here is the thread. I should have started a poll instead of this thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom